Havant & Waterlooville FC HAWKS Official
Home Page1st TeamManager's OfficeGaffer addresses Wrexham loss

Gaffer addresses Wrexham loss

You may like
Club news

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Havant boss Lee Bradbury admits his side were “caught cold” at the start of the second half in the 3-2 defeat to Wrexham at Westleigh Park.


Three goals in the opening quarter of an hour of the second period ultimately saw the game beyond the Hawks with strikes by Shane Pearson, Akil Wright and James Jennings securing the three points for the Welsh outfit.


Alfie Rutherford game the Hawks hope with 20-minutes left to play and came within inches of a remarkable equaliser when Joe Quigley’s effort in stoppage time hit the post and wide after a brilliant save by Rob Lainton.


But ultimately the gaffer concedes that the opening period of the second half was his sides undoing.


Bradbury said: “We got caught at the start of the second half.


“We did speak about it at half time that they would go out and start quickly and it was 15 minutes of madness to be honest.


“A couple of decisions we made with or without the ball cost us and they had the experience and the quality to take the offers that we gave them really.”


When the third went in, the gaffer was caught in two minds whether to continue attacking or preserve the score as it was. There would be only one option.


“At 3-1 I had a conversation with Galey and said, ‘do we just stop the rot and be in the game and see how long we can be in the game or do we go for it?’


“I only know one way and that’s to go for it. We put another forward on and we gave it a go.


“Alfie got the goal and the last 15 minutes it was great because we had Wrexham Football Club at home in a league game camped in and the fans were great, tried to suck the ball into the back of the net but it wasn’t quite going for us.


“We had chances and Joe Quigley with a great turn and good save from the goalkeeper to clip it onto the post, but we had a barrage of corners and free kicks which we couldn’t quite get the first or second contact and they defended well.”


The Hawks didn’t go the game unscathed either. Just hours after penning a deal to stay at the club for remainder of the season Jack James came off towards the end of the first half, before Rory Williams’ game was finished prematurely in the second period.


The gaffer sees these are huge blows ahead of a busy week.


“It was a huge blow for me (losing Rory). He is my captain and has been Mr Reliable for us over the last few years up and down the left side.


“For him to come off and be injured is a big blow for us, they don’t get any easier with Theo out, Bradley Tarbuck who would normally play that side. It’s difficult, but we might have to dip into the loan market hopefully before Tuesday.”

Share this
Our Current Sponsors