Havant & Waterlooville FC HAWKS Official
Home Page1st TeamMatch Reports2018Dover Athletic V Havant and Waterlooville (FA Trophy)

Dover Athletic V Havant and Waterlooville (FA Trophy)

You may like
Club news
Dover Athletic 2-2 Havant and Waterlooville
Pavey 62' Jeffrey 90+3' FA Trophy Kabamba 30' Rutherford 69'

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Anthony Jeffrey’s 90th minute equaliser denied the Hawks progression to the second round of this year’s Buildbase FA Trophy on a frustrating afternoon at Crabble.


The Hawks went in front twice in the match with strikes in either half by Nicke Kabamba and Alfie Rutherford, but on both occasions pegged back by the hosts.


Both sides will replay at Westleigh Park on Tuesday Night.


Hawks boss Lee Bradbury included new signings Chris Pine and Tyler Frost on the bench. Tyler Cordner returned for the tie, whilst Kabamba and Rutherford provided a top two.


It took until the 15thminute for the first opportunity of the game to be fashioned out, with that chance falling for the Hawks.


Good build up play by the Hawks saw the ball fall at the feet of Andreas Robinson who from the edge of the penalty area unleashed a curling effort which would be blocked by the Dover defence.


Five minutes later and Dover had a golden opportunity to strike the game’s first major blow.


A free kick deep into the area by Daniel was whipped to the back post, finding Diarra, who with the goal at his mercy, could only find the side netting.


Seconds later and the Hawks were carving out the chances down the other end as Kabamba finds himself in the penalty area before firing goalwards, but again a Dover player put their body on the line to block his effort.


As the game struck the half hour mark, the Hawks struck the back of the net after Lee Bradbury’s side evaded the challenges that Whites defence continued to try and challenge for the ball, but possession fell to Nicke Kabamba from six yards out and beats Worgan in the Dover goal to give the Hawks the initiative.


Ex Hawks striker Alfie Pavey came close ten minutes before the break as he beat the Hawks defence before having a go at goal, but his effort was blocked in the end.


HALF-TIME: Dover 0-1 Havant and Waterlooville


As the bitterly cold weather continued at Crabble, there seemed to be no let up with the elements.


The first opportunity of the second period fell to Jai Reason for the hosts but from the best part of six yards out the Dover attacker could only hit the side netting.


A quiet start to the second period came and went with neither side threatening each other, as the conditions worsened.


But with just under half an hour remaining Dover got their equaliser courtesy of a familiar face in Alfie Pavey.


A corner swung deep into the penalty area finds the path of Alfie Pavey who nods the ball into the top right-hand corner to give the Whites the leveller.


Five minutes later and the Hawks nearly went back in front would it have not been for an untimely last-ditch slip by Dan Strugnell as he burst past the Dover defence but when one on one with the keeper slipped, meaning he couldn’t get the crisp connection needed to poke the ball goalwards.


That chance would be rendered irrelevant two minutes later when the Hawks put themselves back in front with just over 20 minutes remaining when Tyler Frost broke clear of the defensive cordon in place, before then picking out Alfie Rutherford, who from an acute angle smashed the ball into the roof of the net.


As another quiet period in the game loomed, the Hawks had complete control of possession and were shutting out their opponents for large chunks.


And with nine minutes left, the Hawks nearly made it 3-1, when Brian Stock’s free kick was floated across the penalty area towards the path of Tyler Cordner who couldn’t steer his header into the top left-hand corner.


In the first of three minutes added on the Hawks perhaps should have sealed the game when Frost played in Rutherford, who had both the option of keeping the ball in the corner or playing in Tarbuck in a good position, election to play in the Hawks winger, who went for goal, but couldn’t quite posses the venom that he would have wanted on his effort, going wide of the target.


And when it seemed as if the Hawks weathered the storm in every sense, one last curve ball was sent there way as with just under 30 seconds to go of injury time Anthony Jeffrey put a wicked cross into the penalty area deep towards the back post, eluding everyone including Ben Dudzinski to clip off the post into the back of the net.


FULL-TIME: Dover 2-2 Havant and Waterlooville


The Hawks agonisingly just seconds away from booking their place in the second round of The Buildbase FA Trophy at Crabble as the Hawks left cold at the death.


Both sides will now replay for their right to be in the Second Round Proper of the competition.


Hawks XI: 21 Dudzinski, 2 Strugnell, 3 Williams, 4 Stock (c), 6 Harris (Woodford 59'), 8 Lewis (Tarbuck ), 10 Kabamba, 16 Robinson, 20 Rutherford, 25 Cordner, 26 Bradley (Frost 45')

Share this
Our Current Sponsors