Havant & Waterlooville FC HAWKS Official
Home Page1st TeamMatch Reports2018Havant and Waterlooville 4-1 AFC Wimbledon

Havant and Waterlooville 4-1 AFC Wimbledon

You may like
Club news

Havant and Waterlooville


AFC Wimbledon

Kabamba 35' | Rutherford 68'; 83' | Lewis 72'


Egan 55'


By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

If one Alfie won’t score against you, the other will at Westleigh Park as Alfie Rutherford’s double inspires the Hawks to a 4-1 victory over AFC Wimbledon at Westleigh Park.


Nicke Kabamba opened up his goal scoring account in the first half before Alfie Rutherford’s double was sandwiched in between Theo Lewis’ wonder strike which left Fort Westleigh stunned.


With the game being Lee Bradbury’s final Pre-Season test before taking on Barrow a week Saturday, he would use this game to try and finalise for him the names that would be in his starting lineup at Holker Street in 8 days time. The lineup would remain unchanged from the Hawks’ 2-0 win over Wycombe last Saturday.


It would take ten minutes to find the first opportunity of note as an Andreas Robinson free kick from close distance going for a Hawks corner where from the resulting set piece the ball was played out to the path of Tarbuck who could only sky his effort wide of the goal.


5 minutes later and Alfie Pavey could have opened his account but decided to do the unselfish thing when up against Wombles keeper Tom King and to play it out to Fogden who looked to have a simple tap in, but the Wimbledon ‘keeper, the visiting teams Man of the Match was alert to the 22 year old’s ball to claim the ball for himself and to avert who seemed a clear goalscoring opportunity.


Minutes later King was called into action again as Williams’ ball into Kabamba needed dealing with and Kind would dually oblige claiming it again to keep the score deadlocked.


Just before the half hour mark, the pressure moved to the other end of the field with Ryan Young this time being called into action making a superb save from Andy Barcham as the former Pompey man came one on one with Young and when he looked to chip it past him, Young got an outstretched arm to palm it out for a corner kick.


But seconds later the Hawks would again be knocking at the door as Tom King was forced to make another great save as Pavey played the ball into the path of Andreas Robinson who from 15 yards pulled of a sensational effort which until tipped over looked destined to nestle into the top left hand corner.

The persistence that the Hawks showed during the opening period paid off ten minutes before the interval when Rory Williams floated an immaculate ball into Nicke Kabamba and with the ‘keeper rushing from his line, the 25 year old had an empty net to aim at to give him his first goal since becoming a Hawk with relief running from his face.


HALF-TIME: HAWKS 1-0 AFC Wimbledon


Wimbledon would start the second period the brighter with a few half chances, but nothing that would truly challenge Ryan Young in the Hawks goal.


That was until the 55thminute when they got themselves back level when a ball pinballed into the penalty area found it’s way into the path of Alfie Egan who from 12 yards out would find it harder to miss than score to level the game.


The equaliser would give Wimbledon confidence as they looked to press that into an advantage with a series of decent chances the most notable of which came when Joe Piggot attempted to chip Ryan Young before Paul Robinson headed the ball calmly off the line.


A double Hawks sub on the hour mark seemed to re-light the bluetouch paper as Rutherford and Woodford replaced Fogden and Paul Robinson respectively.


And with 25 minutes to go the afterburners were well and truly put on by the Hawks as first Tom King was required to make a top class save when Rory Williams floated the ball into Kabamba who met his header perfectly with the ball looking destined to hit the top left, King got a hand to it to stick it out for a corner kick.


But it would be from the resulting corner where the Hawks would get their noses back in front as the ball fell at the feet of Alfie Rutherford from 6 yards out and the 19 year old would use his natural instance to tap the ball home as the Hawks regained their lead.


Following that goal, Lee Bradbury decided to make a string of changes giving a number of players the opportunity to stake their claim to a starting shirt in Cumbria a week Saturday.


And it would be one of those substitutes that would get the Hawks’ third in Theo Lewis and in some style as well. After gaining the ball he flicks it up, past the Wimbledon defender before getting the ball onto his favoured right foot and smashing the ball into the top corner to send Westleigh Park into raptures.


Seconds after that the Hawks thought that they had a fourth as Theo Lewis again was causing trouble for the Wimbledon defence, hitting another first time volley crashing onto the crossbar with video technology having to prove whether it crossed the line with it perhaps being most appropriate for the linesman to flag for offside before the rumblings began.


And there would be no injustice in not gaining a fourth as seven minutes from time Alfie Rutherford got his second as Rutherford latches onto a Cosgrave ball before twisting and turning past two Wimbledon defender before slotting it into the bottom right hand corner to make it 4-1 to the Hawks.


FULL-TIME: HAWKS 4-1 AFC Wimbledon


A fantastic result for the Hawks as they defeated League 1 opposition by a 3 goal margin with the result being the perfect way to sign off pre-season before facing Barrow at Holker Street next week.

Hawks Radio MOTM: Wes Fogden
Attendance: 651
Share this
Our Current Sponsors