Havant & Waterlooville FC HAWKS Official
Home Page1st TeamMatch Reports2018Hawks secure maiden National League point with Wood stalemate:

Hawks secure maiden National League point with Wood stalemate:

You may like
Club news

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Havant and Waterlooville picked up their maiden National League point last night following a 0-0 draw with Boreham Wood at Westleigh Park.


The Hawks did have opportunities to take all 3 from last year’s beaten play-off finalists but some fine saves from Ellery Balcombe in the Boreham Wood goal denied the Hawks.


The result leaves us 21stwith the solitary point on the board.


For the second consecutive National League match, Lee Bradbury has named an unchanged team to that which started against Barrow on Saturday, meaning that Rory Williams who limped off on Saturday was deemed fit enough to start.


Following a slow burner in the opening exchanges the Hawks had the first chance of note as Alfie Pavey unleashed a perfect cross into the path of Wes Fogden who’s header is saved magnificently by Balcombe in the Wood goal.


And it would be the start of a Hawks rampage on the Boreham Wood goal as first Jordan Rose had a go from 35 yards with his effort going a yard wide before Pavey again provided a beautiful ball into the path of Nicke Kabamba who one of one with the goalkeeper saw Balcombe on rushing and gathers to deny the Hawks again.


Boreham Wood’s first half chance of note came at the 15 minute mark as Angelo Balanta, Boreham Wood’s dangerman whipped a cross into the area but much to the Hawks’ relief no one latched onto the end of it.


Then it was Fogden again who was creating the chances for the Hawks who played the ball back into the path of Andreas Robinson who’s thunderous effort is somehow saved by Balcombe and still it remained goalless here at Westleigh.


A few minutes later Fogden would be in on the action again as he saw a thunderous volley of his crash just over the bar, another opening for the Hawks against Luke Garrard’s men.


Five minutes before the break the Hawks would have their final chance of the half as Tarbuck plays a cracking ball into the penalty area but before Kabamba could latch his head onto Brad’s cross David Stephens gets his head to it to avert the danger for the visitors.


Seconds from time in the first half Boreham Wood had a golden opportunity to go into the break a goal to the good as they had a free kick in an opportune position but as Balanta struck his effort, Jordan Rose’s head connected straight to it as the half ended level.




The Hawks again would create opening as the second half got underway. Five minutes in and Andreas Robinson’s corner fell to the head of Alfie Pavey however he couldn’t direct his header goalbound from 12 yards out.


Balanta would have the first chance for the visiting side but his tame effort made for easy reading for Ryan Young in the Hawks goal.


Then the second half would have a 10-15 minute lull as both sides maintained long spells in possession but neither team could get near troubling either keeper.


With 25 minutes left to play a concern for the Hawks arose as Williams went down with what at first appeared to be cramp but would then be the cause of all Hawks fears as he hobbled off the field of play to be replaced by Josh Huggins.


The Hawks had the better of the possession and had the ball in the Boreham Wood half for long spells however their backline continued to stop crosses from floating into the penalty area.


But with 5 minutes left to play the Hawks looked like they may have had that one golden chance as with the ball being kicked and deflected all over the penalty area like a pinball machine it would be Paul Robinson who would get a clean connection to the ball but much to his frustration he could only drag his effort an inch wide.


The last chance of the game fell to the visitors in injury time as substitute Bradley Ash unleashes a fine effort which was matched well by Young in the Hawks goal.




It would be a first ever point for the Hawks in The National League but perhaps left to rue not converting one of the many chances we had in the 90 minutes but none the less a superb, battling performance by the Hawks who don’t have things any easier as they face one of the fancied teams for promotion in AFC Fylde at Westleigh Park on Saturday.

Attendance: 1348
Man of the Match: Wes Fogden
Share this
Our Current Sponsors