Havant & Waterlooville FC HAWKS Official
Home Page1st TeamMatch Reports2018Metropolitan Police V Havant and Waterlooville

Metropolitan Police V Havant and Waterlooville

You may like
Club news

Metropolitan Police


Havant and Waterlooville

Mazzone 39'

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Havant and Waterlooville were on the receiving end of an FA Cup upset as the Metropolitan Police book their place in the first round for the first time in six years at Imber Court.


The Hawks found it difficult creating chances all afternoon and found themselves on the receiving end of a Jack Mazzone wonder strike just before the interval.


The result means the Hawks will go out the FA Cup with no prize money and the tag on the back of the papers as the rounds big shock.


Hawks boss Lee Bradbury went for the strongest available side that he could muster as two changes were made from the home defeat to Gateshead. Theo Lewis came in for Brian Stock, who was ruled out through illness whilst the cup tied Tyler Cordner was replaced by Paul Robinson.


And the early knockings was all about the hosts as they looked to provide some more FA Cup magic. Their first opportunity came three minutes into the game as a corner is half cleared into the path of Blackmore, who’s effort was tipped over by Hawks keeper Ben Dudzinski.


The Hawks’ best opportunity of the half came just minutes later as a second Met Police corner is cleared by Alfie Pavey in the penalty area and the clearance would find Bradley Tarbuck, who sprints forward into space before curling and effort on his right foot on the edge of the penalty area but could only fizz over the top right hand corner.


The start by the Met Police was encouraging, when going forward, they went forward with authority and when in defence kept a good line and restricted the Hawks to minimal space, mainly inside our own half.


25 minutes in and Josh Webb did well to break free from Will Wood before launching a cross into the penalty area, however he couldn’t find the lurking Max Blackmore.


Two minutes later and the hosts hit the back of the net, however the effort by Blackmore, who slotted the ball past Dudzinski in the bottom right, was ruled out after the attacker was caught 2 yards offside.


Just after the half hour mark, Dudzinski kept the Hawks virtually in the game as Mummery came bearing through on goal but the Hawks keeper came off his line, made himself big before getting a foot to his effort as the Hawks keeper refused bail.


But five minutes before the interval, Dudzinski had no stopping what would prove to be the game winning goal as a ball towards the penalty area was half cleared towards Jack Mazzone who from the left and just outside the box put his laces beautifully onto the ball to volley it into the right hand corner as Imber Court erupted and cup upset well and truly on.


The Hawks would have the final opportunity of the half with less than 60 seconds to go until the interval as Alex Bradley delivered a corner into Andreas Robinson at the back post who headed it across to Ryan Woodford, who from six yards out, could only put his effort wide to end a frustrating half for Lee Bradbury’s side.


HALF-TIME: Met Police 1-0 Havant and Waterlooville


The Hawks gaffer made two changes at the interval as Dan Strugnell and Ibra Sekajja replaced Jordan Rose and Alex Bradley respectively.


The first effort of the second period fell to the hosts as Mummery in the area went for goal, but again it would be Dudzinski that would come up trumps.


Just before the hour mark, the Hawks would have their sniff as Pavey crossed the ball across the area but blocked by the Met Police.


However, it would be the start of the Hawks fightback in the game as we pressed to get the equaliser which would have seen us replay at Westleigh Park.


And with just over 25 minutes to play the Hawks forced the Met ‘keeper Thomas Williams into his first real save of the game as Kabamba bared down on him one on one in the box but Williams did well to win the battle as the Hawks’ frustrations continued.


But what was already an uphill battle got even harder with a quarter of an hour left to play as a suspected handball saw the referee Daniel Lamport send Andreas Robinson off for a second bookable offence.


However, the Hawks would huff and puff on the door, pulling ball after ball in the area in the last 10 minutes of the game but the Hawks couldn’t bash down the door with Ibra Sekajja doing brilliantly down the wing, however none of the 25 Hawks corners would pay dividends.


FULL-TIME: Met Police 1-0 Havant and Waterlooville


The Hawks exit the competition at the first hurdle, meaning the wait for a first, first round appearance since 2014 will continue.


Next up it’s back to league action as the Hawks travel to Brisbane Road to take on Leyton Orient.


Hawks XI: 21 Dudzinski, 5 Woodford, 23 P.Robinson (c), 17 Rose (Strugnell 45'), 26 Bradley (Sekajja 45'), 19 Wood (Cosgrave 66'), 8 Lewis, 11 Tarbuck, 16 A.Robinson, 9 Pavey, 10 Kabamba 

Referee: Daniel Lamport

Attendance: 400

Share this
Our Current Sponsors