Havant & Waterlooville FC HAWKS Official
Home Page1st TeamMatch ReportsHavant and Waterlooville V Chesterfield

Havant and Waterlooville V Chesterfield

You may like
Club news
Havant and Waterlooville 1-2 Chesterfield
Paul 11' National League Evans 51', Boden 90+'

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

A late second half Chesterfield penalty saw the Spireites claim a 2-1 win at Westleigh Park and land the Hawks further from safety.


Scott Boden converted a penalty in injury time to complete a second half turnaround after Chris Paul gave the Hawks the lead in the opening period.


With Dover beating Halifax and Barnet drawing with Hartlepool, the Hawks find themselves back to four points behind the cut line.


Lee Bradbury made one change from the 3-0 win over Dagenham, one which was enforced due to Andreas Robinson’s suspension. Theo Lewis took his place in the starting 11.


Chesterfield had the first chance of the game inside the opening ten minutes when Ellis Chapman played a dangerous ball into the penalty area, towards Scott Boden in the six-yard area, but he couldn’t cleanly connect to the ball, with his scuffed effort going wide of goal.


Havant came forward for the first time ten minutes into the encounter when Theo Lewis went for a header, his effort deflected as far as Chris Paul who fired an effort towards goal, coming off a orange shirt.


And it was Chris Paul that took the corner down the right-hand side, and the strong winds helped clip the ball off the post and into the back of the net to give the Hawks the lead, the ‘keeper Jalah seemed to be confused about the trajectory of the ball.


Five minutes later the Hawks were in again when Joe Quigley burst forward, getting the better of two Chesterfield defenders, before dragging his effort just wide of the target.


But, the visitors responded well and used their height as a key advantage in a game where the wind dictated how the game would be played.


Midway through the opening period a dangerous looking ball was played across the penalty area but was well cleared by defender Tyler Cordner.


Half an hour in a ball in from Rowley is played into the path of Tom Denton who could only direct his header wide of Dudzinski’s goal and the fans who made the trip from Derbyshire.


With just over five minutes left of the opening period Wes Fogden launched a perfectly weighted pass out to Quigley, who was pedalling forward with pace before the ‘keeper Jalah came out to shield the ball once it came into the box.


Seconds later up the other end of the field Scott Boden picked up on a loose ball before firing an effort into the side netting.


And the final chance of a frantic first half fell to John Sheridan’s side when Denton got his head on the other end of a cross, but again went a yard wide, as the big man up top kept the Hawks guessing.


HALF-TIME: Havant and Waterlooville 1-0 Chesterfield


Jordan Rose came on in the place of Joe Quigley at half time as the Hawks had to defend against the elements in the second half.


And Chesterfield started off the second half in the way they finished the first as Scott Boden was left unmarked in the penalty area with his shot saved well by Ben Dudzinski.


However on the 51stminute the Hawks defence was breached when a free kick went deep towards the back post where Will Evans towered above all else to head the ball past Dudzinski to level the scores.


Three minutes later the Hawks came back in search of retaking the lead, when Chris Paul played an immaculate ball into Alfie Rutherford who’s sweet header was matched spectacularly by Jalah in the Spireites goal.


Just before the hour mark Scott Boden had a go from distance, forcing Dudzinski to parry the ball away.


With 20 minutes left the visitors had the ball in the back of the net, however the linesman deemed Scott Boden to be offside before he put the ball past Dudzinski.


The wind almost caused another corner ball to go into the back of the net, this time for the Derbyshire team with Dudzinski having to parry it away as a literal second wind came down on Westleigh Park.


With nine minutes of the game remaining Wes Fogden broke clear before going one-on-one with Jalah in the penalty area, but the Chesterfield ‘keeper did well to get his leg out and knock the ball away.


And as expected with Hawks games the drama came right at the death and in the first minute of stoppage time the visitors had a penalty when Dan Strugnell was deemed to have fouled Binnom-Williams inside the area, the referee pointing to the spot.


Up stepped Scott Boden, and from 12 yards out slots the ball down the bottom left hand corner to put Chesterfield in front for the first time.


Seconds later Wes Fogden had an effort just wide of the goal.


And in the last minute of injury time Matt Paterson went down inside the six yard box, with the Hawks players screaming for a second spot kick of stoppage time, but the referee unmoved by Havant’s appeals.


FULL-TIME: Havant and Waterlooville 1-2 Chesterfield


Havant slip further into the mire, with the gap now back to four points with seven games remaining.


The Hawks don’t play now for another ten days in the league when we make the trip to London to take on Maidenhead United on March 26.

Share this
Our Current Sponsors