The Hawks came from behind twice to draw with Torquay United 2-2 in the Fourth Round Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup.

United took the lead midway through the second-half when Ben Wynter followed in an Armani Little free-kick but Havant substitute Alex Wall levelled proceedings just 10 minutes later. 

The hosts restored their lead through Jake Andrews but there was still time to be a grandstand finish at Plainmoor. James Roberts found the back of the net in stoppage time with a fantastic finish to send travelling Hawks contingent, who were in fine voice all afternoon, got their just rewards.

Match Action

Torquay started the game the brighter of the two teams and went close early on through Connor Lemonheigh-Evans. 18 yards from goal, the midfielder took the ball under his spell but his eventual shot whistled past the post.

Midway through the first period, goalkeeper Ross Worner had to be replaced by Charlie Searle after picking up an injury. 

This didn’t affect the Hawks as they went close up the other end with a chance of their own. Billy Clifford went close from range, but his effort evaded the top corner.

Keelan O’Connell was next to go close for the home side. The midfielder was picked out well by Chiori Johnson from the right, and after making space for the shot, his eventual effort cannoned back off the crossbar. 

Torquay finished the half strongly and again nearly found the back of the net, Dan Holman denied on the line by Jamie Collins.

HT – Torquay United 0 HAWKS 0

The Hawks came out in the second half a different side and looked the more likely to break the deadlock. Jake McCarthy made in the box, but his shot lacked conviction and was easily held by Shaun MacDonald on 51 minutes.

Minutes later, the visitors sprung a counter-attack down the right with Josh Passley. The wing-back did brilliantly to find Tommy Wright with a cut-back but his first time effort bounced off the inside of post, rolled across goal before being cleared to safety.

Following all of the Hawks’ hard work, it was Torquay to go in front. A 25-yard Armani Little free-kick brought Searle into action, but the ‘keeper could only parry the ball into the path of Ben Wynter who passed the ball into the net.

Substitute Alex Wall was in the right place at the time on 75 minutes as James Roberts hit the post following a counter. Wall was there to nod in the rebound to send the Hawks bench and supporters mad. 

Things would get worse, before they got better for the Hawks as Torquay would re-gain their lead five minutes from time. Claudi Lolos escaped the clutches of Joe Oastler down the right before teeing up Jake Andrews to tap into the net from four yards out.

Paul Doswell’s side weren’t dead and buried as they drew level in the last minute of stoppage time and deservedly so. Roberts, who was lively all game, controlled the ball well just inside the area following a long Mike Green throw, and the forward curled a sensational effort into the top right corner. 

Torquay are to make the trip to the Draper Tools on Wednesday for the tie’s replay. 

FT – Torquay United 2 HAWKS 2

Torquay Starting XI – MacDonald, Wynter, Lapslie, Omar, Lemonheigh- Evans, Little ©, Johnson, O’Connell, Moxey, Holman, Lewis 

Subs used – Lolos, Andrews, Rogers

Subs not used – Halstead, Martin

HAWKS STARTING XI – Worner, Passley, Magri, Oastler ©, Collins, Green, Gobern, McCarthy, Clifford, Roberts, Wright

Subs used – Wall, Rooney

Subs not used – Searle, Newton, Adebowale, Baggie, Rendell

Written by: Ryan Honey