About Match

The Hawks were condemned to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Bath City at Twerton Park on Tuesday night.


Two goals inside the opening 16 minutes for the Romans turned out to be too much to recover for the visitors. Although a Roarie Deacon piledriver on the half hour mark put the contest back in the balance, it just wasn’t to be for the visitors as a Bedsente Gomis penalty miss mid-way through the second-half was saved by Bath keeper Ryan Clarke. 


The hosts took the lead inside the eighth minute through Tom Mehew. A counter-attack from a Hawks set-piece saw an unmarked Mehew run from his own half before taking the ball under his spell and tucking it away past Ross Worner.


The Hawks found themselves two down eight minutes later when Tom Smith tapped in from close range. Paul Doswell’s side were unable to clear their lines and Bath punished them when Alex Fletcher found the midfielder from the left at the second time of asking.


The Hawks halved the deficit just shy of the half hour mark through Roarie Deacon. The winger cut inside from the right before powering the ball across goal and into the bottom corner past Ryan Clarke in the Bath goal.


Fletcher almost re-established the hosts two goal lead when he went through on goal shortly before the break. He did well to test Worner from a tight angle following good defensive work from the Hawks which managed to push him wider than he would have liked.


HT – Bath City 2 HAWKS 1


It was almost the perfect start to the second-half for the away side when Billy Clifford went close after trying his luck from distance on 47 minutes. Good work from Deacon down the right before feeding the ball inside invitingly for Clifford who let fly and narrowly missed the target.


The Hawks should have equalised after they were awarded a penalty when Clarke fouled Kedwell on 59 minutes. But Bedsente Gomis’ penalty kick lacked conviction and was easily saved by captain Clarke in the Bath City goal.


The chances kept coming for Doswell’s men, Josh Taylor beat his man and fired a shot goalwards on 70 minutes only for it to clear the crossbar.


Bath nearly extended their lead through Fletcher when he raced through on goal again on 80 minutes. But Worner did well to come out and make himself big to deny the winger a goal on his debut.


Havant almost stole a point late on through substitute Moussa Bakayoko following a Taylor corner. Moussa Diarra towered above his marker to head the ball into the path of Bakayoko. The winger couldn’t sort his feet out in time and Clarke gratefully pounced on the loose ball.


A 2-1 loss on the night means it’s back to back defeats for the Hawks who slip to 9th in the table. 


FT – Bath City 2 HAWKS 1 


STARTING XI – Worner, Read, Straker (C), Diarra, Magri, Taylor, Clifford, Kedwell, Gomis, Wright, Deacon


Subs used – Poku, Chambers-Parillon, Bakayoko


Subs not used – Rowe, Lee