About Match

Hawks come from behind to leave Billericay with all three points

The Hawks continued their unbeaten start to the campaign with an impressive 2-1 victory over Billericay Town.

Paul Doswell’s men struck twice late on to cancel out Josh Hutchinson’s first half opener. Defender Sam Magri started the comeback firing home a firm header with 10 minutes left to play. During stoppage time, Tommy Wright completed it with a composed finish across the goalkeeper.

The Hawks travelled to Essex full of confidence after their win midweek and it showed on the pitch as they controlled the tempo of the game early on.

The first real chance came 7 minutes in. Hawks’ Tommy Wright latched onto a long diagonal ball from Billy Clifford and cut inside, but his eventual effort went just over the crossbar.

Billericay grew into the game and were showing signs of scoring. They came close on 23 minutes when Luke Wanadio took Anthony Straker on down the right. He got his shot away but goalkeeper Ross Worner did well to get down and hold it.

The home side should really have taken the lead on the half hour mark when they caught the Hawks on the counter. Joe Felix found space in the area before firing an effort across goal heading for the net. Worner dived superbly across goal to divert the ball behind for a corner.

Ricay did take the initiative on 42 minutes when Josh Hutchinson deftly guided Paul Konchesky’s low cross into the bottom corner, leaving Worner rooted to the spot.

HT – Billericay 1 Hawks 0

Dos’ men almost fell two behind shortly after the restart when Frankie Sutherland took aim from distance, but his shot flew just wide of the post.

The hosts were definitely the more threatening and should have doubled their lead on 62 minutes when Hutchinson found himself through on goal. Worner closed him down quickly and smartly saved but couldn’t prevent the ball falling kindly for Wanadio. The winger’s effort was cleared off the line at the expense of a corner.

Hawks were slowly starting to show signs of getting back into the game and on 66 minutes they created a good opportunity. Benny Read was found in acres of space on the right hand side. He drove into the area and struck the ball cleanly, but his effort cleared the stand behind the goal.

The away side did start to cause Billericay problems and they found an equaliser on 79 minutes when Sam Magri leapt highest from a Billy Clifford corner. A powerful header from the centre-half left Dion-Curtis Henry with no chance.

They weren’t finished there and found a winner in stoppage time. Tommy Wright squirmed his effort past keeper Henry from the tightest of angles after running onto a long ball forward.

The Hawks showed brilliant character to turn over a 1-0 deficit late on to leave the AGP Arena like they did in March, with all three points.

FT – Billericay Town 1 Hawks 2

By Ryan Honey (@ryanhoney9)