About Match

The Hawks stretched their unbeaten run to four games after beating Bracknell Town by three goals to two, in the Second round of the FA Trophy.


Goals from Iaciofano, Taylor and Wright ensured Paul Doswell’s men would avoid another cup upset and advance to the next stage.


The opening ten minutes were lively with both teams seeing the ball. It was the Hawks who struck first. A long ball forward by Joe Tupper was flicked on by Danny Kedwell to find Joe Iaciofano who finished well at the near post.


The hosts reacted well after going a goal behind and threatened through Shamar Moore. The forward did well to evade several Hawks defenders before firing a low effort on goal. But the ball flew into the arms of Tupper who claimed at the second time of asking.


Kedwell went close moments later when he tried his luck from a 30-yard free-kick. Mark Scott was worried in the Bracknell goal as it curled just wide of the post.


The complexion of the game changed in favour of the home side on 34 minutes when a deflected shot fell to Sebastian Bowerman inside the Havant box. The winger confidently drilled the ball past Tupper and into the net to level proceedings. 


The momentum pendulum swung back into the Hawks as the game sparked into life moments later. Bracknell captain Max Herbert was shown a second yellow card after a late challenge on Anthony Straker. 


HT – Bracknell Town 1 HAWKS 1


10-man Bracknell started the half brilliantly, pressing Havant from the front. Half-time substitute Shaquille Ishmael went through on goal early on, but he snatched at the ball and sent his shot well wide.


Very much against the run of play the Hawks re-established their lead on 64 minutes. Josh Taylor’s long range effort took a wicked deflection, before hitting the net, which left Mark Scott with no chance.


The Hawks got their third goal with 15 minutes left to play. Iaciofano leapt highest to flick the ball through to an unmarked Tommy Wright who finished with aplomb after racing into the penalty area.


The Robins still looked dangerous and almost halved the deficit on 80 minutes. The ball fell to Bowerman inside the penalty area who volleyed it just wide of the post.


Taylor almost wrapped up the tie late on for the visitors when he let fly from range again. The ball dipped and swerved towards goal, but it went narrowly wide of the upright.


Bracknell did pull one back in stoppage time from the spot through Bowerman, but it was too little too late as the Hawks booked their place in the next round.


Round Three is set to be played on Saturday against Braintree Town.


FT – Bracknell Town 2 HAWKS 3


STARTING XI – Tupper, McLennan, Magri, Robson, Straker, Clifford, Taylor, Sinclair, Ajakaiye, Kedwell, Iaciofano


Subs used – Poku, Wright, Rowe


Subs not used – Worner, Walton

By Ryan Honey