About Match

Robbie Simpson’s 92nd minute winner saw Chelmsford City knock the Hawks out of the FA Trophy, following a 2-1 defeat at Melbourne Park in the First Round. 

Simpson netted with just moments of the game remaining after Danny Kedwell levelled midway through the second half.

Billy Knott opened the scoring for the hosts with a brilliant volley.

The defeat means that the Hawks have exited at this stage of the competition for the third successive season.

Paul Doswell handed starts to Wes Fogden and Andy Drury in midfield, both welcome additions after returning from injury.

The first chance of the game came six minutes in and fell to the visitors when good link up play between Fogden and Ayunga saw the former have a crack at goal from six yards out, his effort saved by Sam Howes in the Clarets goal.

Seconds later the Hawks found themselves three on two against the Chelmsford City defence before the cross into the box found Danny Kedwell who’s header went over the bar.

However, Chelmsford took the lead after 16 minutes with a strike which left everyone doing nothing but applaud. A corner came into the penalty area which was headed away by Kedwell as far as Knott who from the edge of the box sweetly struck the ball through his laces before he effort sailed into the back of the net, passed a helpless Ross Worner.

The visitors had an instant repost, just two minutes later they found themselves back on the front foot. Taylor’s throw into the penalty area towards the back post where Ayunga couldn’t get his head to the ball.

Midway through the opening period as the Hawks continued to press to get the equaliser Ayunga played a dangerous looking cross along the face of goal which needed to be parried away by Howes with Kedwell unmarked and onside at the backlist ready to pounce.

But Chelmsford looked dangerous on the counter attack all afternoon and a few minutes later tried to catch out the Havant backline with Knowles rampaging forward and winning the ball, however he was matched by Straker at the back who matched his run and shielded the ball from his path.

With just over ten minutes of the opening period left to play in the opening period Kedwell provides another cross into the box to Ayunga who got a head to it but his effort would be matched by Howes.

Seconds later the Hawks had their opportunity to level the game when Kedwell slipped through Ayunga inside the box who has bought to the ground, the referee pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Danny Kedwell who’s penalty went low and to the right side of goal, but his effort was matched by Howes.

The last chance of the first half came to the hosts right before the break when another Chelmsford counter saw Knowles playing a ball across goal before the requisite effort being blocked off the line superbly by Craig Robson.

HALF-TIME – Chelmsford City 1-0 Havant and Waterlooville

The Hawks came out the gate flying after the interval, and got themselves level within ten minutes of the restart.

The goal came courtesy of a Danny Kedwell free kick as he stepped up from around 25 yards out before he struck the ball with full power, with a slight deflection helping the ball to its trajectory which was always going to be the top corner where it nestled.

The second period ebbed and flowed, with both sides countering each other at will and with some regularity.

Just after the hour mark, a ball over the top from the hosts found Simpson who looked in on goal, but for Beckwith’s pivotal contribution at the back to steer the ball away from danger.

With just over 20 minutes remaining Chelmsford missed a golden opportunity to put themselves back in front in the tie.

The ball treacle its way across the Clarets box through Simpson, who found Knott and with the goal at his mercy he blazed the ball over the bar.

Minutes later Shaw’s free kick found its way into the penalty area before the oncoming header going narrowly wide of the target.

As the final ten approached Drury lobbed the ball over the top into Kedwell’s path, but as he bought the ball down the flag went up for offside.

Five minutes later a corner came into Kedwell at the near post, but his header would go wide of goal.

And then on the break Chelmsford broke free thanks to Knowles and on the edge of the box had an effort on goal which went over the bar.

The Hawks looked as if they would sneak a win in the last minute of normal time when the ball fell to Alfie Rutherford, who came on with 20 minutes to go, at an acute angle before going for goal with the ‘keeper beaten he placed his effort just wide of the post, skimming past the net and progression.

But progress would be Chelmsford’s right at the very death when Robbie Simpson turned and struck on the edge of the box, firing the ball in the bottom corner to win the game with virtually the last kick of the game.

FULL-TIME: Chelmsford City 2-1 Havant and Waterlooville

Starting XI: Worner, Straker, Beckwith, Magri, Fogden, Drury, Kedwell (c), Ayunga, Bailey, Robson, Taylor

Subs on: Tarbuck, Rutherford

Subs not used: Read, Walton, Latham, Flannigan, Paul

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Match Video