About Match

Hawks hit the woodwork six times as they fail to break down a stubborn Chippenham defence in a 0-0 draw at Hardenhuish Park.

Kedwell, Drury, Rutherford and Magri had chances to win the game for the visitors in Wiltshire but the back of the net found wanting.

The Hawks move up to second amongst a cluster of sides on 49 points.

Paul Doswell named an unchanged side from the dramatic 3-1 win over Dulwich Hamlet in midweek.

It was a scrappy start to the match on a bobbling surface with both sides having possession in the middle third as they fed each other out.

The first chance fell to the Hawks when Danny Kedwell was on the receiving end of a ball into the box but it would go over the bar.

Around the 20 minute mark Simon Walton had a go on goal from the edge of the box but his effort would go over.

Chippenham would then enjoy a spell of chances over the ten minutes that followed.

The first came from a free kick into the area which had to be parried away by Worner before attempts by Chambers and Zebroski were held and blasted over.

Ten minutes before the interval and the Hawks had their golden chance of the half to go ahead when Rutherford found himself in the box before slaloming his way past a hatful of bluebird defenders but his effort would be matched by the outstretched right arm of Puddy to deny him.

Two minutes later Foulston had a go for Chippenham despite coming close it rose narrowly over the frame of goal.

Right on the stroke of half time Taylor won the ball on the edge of the area before striking an effort which took a deflection onto the crossbar as the woodwork again came to the hosts rescue.

Half-Time: Chippenham 0-0 Hawks

That old foe the the post continued to the enemy for Doswell’s side after the restart when just moments into the second period Rutherford chipped the ball into Straker who headed the ball across into Kedwell who’s effort hit the crossbar.

Chippenham also found themselves ruing the foundations as Foulston’s free kick hit the frame.

On the hour mark the Hawks came close again as Taylor slipped through Kedwell who on his head again came close but not enough as it goes over.

Then five minutes later again a case of how the visitors hadn’t put their noses in front when Magri’s effort was cleared off the line before two subsequent effort came and went without finding the netting.

Moments later Kedwell hit the side netting on the volley from inside the box.

After a quiet spell, the final ten minutes would prove frantic as both sides pushed for that illusive winner.

First was the turn of the hosts when Hopper found himself through on goal before he blazed the ball over the bar from close range.

Seconds later Magri had another chance cleared off the line as Taylor’s cross into the box found the Maltese defender but again the Hawks denied that opener.

With less than a minute of normal time to be played Drury found himself in the box before moving out wide and having a crack at goal, but his effort hit the post.

And in a plot twist it was Chippenham who almost got the winner when they had a free kick on the edge of the box which was parried by Worner onto the post.

Full-Time: Chippenham 0-0 Hawks 

Starting XI: Worner, Read, Straker, Walton, Magri, Fogden, Kedwell (c), Tarbuck, Bailey, Taylor, Rutherford

Subs on: Drury, Paul

Subs not used: Beckwith, Eyres

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Match Video