About Match

Jonah Ayunga’s brace helped see the Hawks overcome a 2-1 deficit with just over 25 minutes left to win 4-3 against Hampton and Richmond.

Ayunga notched his first two league goals of the campaign to turn the game on its head after Wes Fogden clawed the Hawks back into the game with a strike with just over 25 minutes remaining.

Roarie Deacon gave Havant the lead after two minutes but Hampton responded quickly before taking a 3-1 lead.

The win, despite the season being in its embryonic stage, sees the Hawks up to 6th in The National League South table.

Manager Paul Doswell made one change from the 1-1 draw with Welling on Saturday with Simon Walton coming in to replace Nicky Bailey. 

And it was the perfect start for those of the Havant persuasion. Two minutes in and a free kick which was played into Sam Magri was flicked across the box towards the path of the unmarked Roarie Deacon who from close range hammered the ball home. 

The beavers Damb breached early on.

However, the lead would last all of five minutes as the hosts found a quick response. Lewthwaite ran past the Hawks defence before he skittled past Worner to place the ball into an empty net to level the game up.

Despite the setback the Hawks looked to carve out opportunities in search of a goal which would see them edge back in front. The best came 20 minutes in when Straker broke free of the Hampton defence before crossing the ball into the path of Ayunga, being marked by two, he was forced back before playing the ball back into the box with no one on the end of it.

However, half hour in and Hampton would find themselves in front. A long ball forward found the path of Orsi-Dadomo who runs clear and is able to slot the ball past Worner and into the back of the net.

Determined not to go in at the break behind, the Hawks had a couple of golden opportunities to get back on level terms. 

The first came when Benny Read flashed a ball across goal into the path of Wes Fogden but before he could get his shot away, Walker in the Hampton goal knocked the ball away. 

Then moments later Josh Taylor found himself in possession before making a burst for the penalty area, then cutting inside to shoot, but his effort dragged narrowly wide of the target.

Half Time – Hampton & Richmond 2-1 HAWKS

There was a short delay before the second half got underway with a Hawks fan being taken unwell at the interval.

When the game restarted Hampton came out with the bit between their teeth, like a heavyweight boxer coming out for the championship rounds and looking to land a knockout blow. 

Within a minute they scored their third when a ball was played across the face of the penalty area towards Orsi-Dadomo who buried the ball from close range.

A big punch which sent the Hawks on the canvas, but what for most would be seen as a knockout blow, Havant rose and met the challenge head on. 

After a quiet 10 minutes in South London, the game escalated into a thriller in next to no time. 

With just over 25 minutes to play the Hawks got themselves back to within a goal when Fogden found himself clear of the Hampton defence before getting in position and hammering the ball home to half the arrears. 

Then ten minutes later after Hampton continued to soak up the pressure then came the equaliser and the start of a huge escalation of events. 

Bradley Tarbuck delivered a pinpoint accurate ball into the area towards the path of Jonah Ayunga who rose highest to knock the ball into the back of the net and level the scores. 

And within seconds of being back level, the Hawks found themselves, staggeringly, back in front. Ayunga again the scorer, but a goal fashioned out of Wes Fogden’s ability to never give up on a ball.

With the ball heading towards the dead ball line, Fogden managed to keep it in play and in acres of space had the opportunity to knock the ball across to Ayunga who from the best part of 12 yards out buried the ball home.

But Doswell’s side wasn’t done yet, and the search for a fifth was very much on. 

Ten minutes from time squared a ball across goal towards Ollie Dennett but the ball found Walker in the Hampton goal before getting to the young striker.

Then two minutes later he had to make a big save from Andy Drury after the Hawks threw the kitchen sink at Hampton inside the area, but the Beavers stood strong and resolute.

Then Hampton found themselves up the other end and had a number of half chances from free kicks in the closing stages, none of which would cause considerable damage to Ross Worner in the Hawks goal.

Full Time – Hampton & Richmond 3-4 HAWKS

Great battling performance by the Hawks to turn adversity into victory at the Beveree Stadium. 

Starting XI: Worner, Read, Straker, Walton, Beckwith, Magri, Fogden (C), Drury, Ayunga, Deacon, Taylor

Subs On: Tarbuck, Dennett, Bailey

Attendance: 477

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Match Video