About Match

Havant and Waterlooville’s unbeaten streak at the start of the season continues after a 0-0 draw against Chelmsford City at Westleigh Park. 

Simon Walton missed a first half penalty with two or three opportunities hit the post as the Hawks were frustrated in front of goal.

The draw against the clarets means the Hawks have won two and drawn three from their opening five games to ensure one of only two unbeaten record in The National League South, alongside Bath City.

Perhaps unsurprisingly Paul Doswell named an unchanged XI from the five star, six nil win over Dorking Wanderers in the week.

Havant started brightly and had a couple of half chances early on the piece, as both sides were feeling each other out in the opening periods.

But eight minutes in the Hawks had a big chance to get the lead when Wes Fogden was clipped inside the penalty area and the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Simon Walton stood up and took responsibility, but his penalty was smartly saved by Carl Pentney in the Clarets goal before the rebound hit the crossbar.

Four minutes later Doswell’s side came close again when Rutherford burst inside the penalty area before switching the ball out to Wes Fogden who had his effort deflected.

Ten minutes later it was Rutherford’s turn to go for goal when Andy Drury swung a corner into his path, but he could only direct his header over the bar.

And then shortly after the 21-year-old then hit the post as his frustrating afternoon in front of goal continued. He was played through down the left hand side before getting his show away from an acute angle, and as it looked as if it was sneak into the bottom right hand corner the post stopped the Hawks from taking the lead.

Chelmsford’s best chance of the half came ten minutes before the break when Jonny Giles had a go from the best part of 40 yards out, his effort went narrowly over the bar.

Five minutes before the break the Hawks had another chance stopped by Pentney in the Clarets goal. This time Rutherford under the challenge of two found Deacon who controlled the ball before firing an effort which was saved by the Chelmsford ‘keeper.

Seconds before half time Nicky Bailey tried his luck from the best part of 30 yards out when his free kick went narrowly over.

Half-Time – HAWKS 0-0 Chelmsford City

The Hawks came out for the second half firing on all cylinders and had two opportunities in quick succession. The first came within a minute of the restart Ayunga played a ball into Rutherford and then seconds later Rutherford played the ball into Taylor, both cleared by the Clarets.

Then around 10 minutes later, the Hawks come close again, this time from a set piece Wes Fogden plays the ball into Josh Taylor who knocks the ball over from close range.

Two minutes later Rutherford came close again when Rutherford knocked the ball down from the left hand side again before going for goal, but again he, and the Hawks would be frustrated by yet another clearance from close range.

With just over 25 minutes remaining, Chelmsford came close again when Sam Higgins with the side netting for the visitors after having an effort from close distance.

With the game ebbing towards a draw, Andy Drury tried his luck on goal with a cross come shot, but his effort came with the similar outcome as it headed into the arms of Carl Pentney.

Higgins again moments later came close for the visitors when he had another go inside the area which went narrowly wide.

Benny Read was introduced into the game for the final few moments, and with ten minutes remaining he teed the ball up to Drury but again another deflection saw the Hawks’ opportunities to break the deadlock thwarted.

Seconds later the Clarets came close as the game continued to move from end to end. Chez Isaac tried his luck with a curling effort which went narrowly wide.

As the final exchanges continued to create an opening for one to fashion a winner, the Hawks came forward as a chess match between two of the National League South’s heavyweights came to its conclusion.

Jonah Ayunga broke free of the Chelmsford defence before his effort trickled just wide of goal.

The last chance of the game fell to the visitors when Andy Ferrell broke free and into the penalty area, but Worner palmed the ball away out for a corner.

Full-Time – HAWKS 0-0 Chelmsford City 

Hawks keep their unbeaten record intact as Chelmsford wouldn’t let their defence be breached.

Next up is a trip to Tonbridge Angels next Saturday.

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Starting XI: Worner, Straker, Walton, Magri, Fogden (C), Drury, Ayunga, Deacon, Bailey, Taylor, Rutherford

Subs On: Read, Tarbuck, Paul

Subs unused: Beckwith, Cook

Attendance: 1,382