About Match

Alfie Rutherford struck twice late on to turn the tie around as the Hawks beat Cinderford Town 3-1 in the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy.

Craig Robson gave the hosts the lead midway through the opening period before the Foresters equalised on the hour mark.

But then up stepped Rutherford to rescue the Hawks late on with two strikes in the last ten minutes to book a spot in the First Round Proper of the competition.

Manager Paul Doswell gave starts to Kingsley Latham, Simon Walton, Chris Paul and Alfie Rutherford for the tie.

The Hawks started brightly and created a few opportunities to break the deadlock quickly, with Andy Hannah in the Cinderford goal being made busy inside the opening 20 minutes.

Midway through the opening period the hosts got their noses in front when a corner down the left hand side found Craig Robson who from 12 yards out headed the ball into the back of the net.

Ten minutes later Alfie Rutherford had a poke at goal from just outside the penalty area, but his curled effort fell wide of the target.

Five minutes before half time Chris Paul had a chance from the edge of the penalty area but he found his low effort deflected out for a corner.

Seconds later Drury attempted to chip Hannah on the edge of the area, but the ball fell straight into his hands.

Half-Time: HAWKS 1-0 Cinderford Town

The second half kicked off at a quiet pace with both sides feeding each other out just after the restart.

Six minutes after the game got back underway Drury attempted to chip Hannah again from the edge of the penalty area, but to the same outcome.

Three minutes later Tarbuck from just outside the box went for goal on the volley, but his effort trickled just wide of the target.

For the Hawks’ opportunities in front of goal it was Cinderford who found the net ten minutes after the restart when Josh Hunt chipped Kingsley Latham in the Hawks goal following a mix up at the back.

With just over 25 minutes left to play Tarbuck played another key cross into the penalty area but the ball failed to find Danny Kedwell.

Four minutes later Alfie Rutherford hit the post after he picked up the ball on the edge of the penalty area and then pulled the trigger before his effort clattered the woodwork.

As the game reached the last 20 minutes, Taylor took a quick free kick towards the back post but again went narrowly wide.

Seconds later Drury beat two defenders before having an effort from the edge of the box which was held by the Cinderford ‘keeper.

The Hawks continued to press on for that goal to put them back in front when Drury flicked the ball across the area towards Taylor who got the faintest of touches to the ball.

With just over ten minutes left to play Tarbuck again had another effort on the volley, this time it went over the bar as chances continued to come and go.

Drury again proved a handful for the Foresters defence when a free kick fell into his path before rising highest, but his header would drift wide of the target.

With seven minutes of normal time left Rutherford conjured up that imperative second for the Hawks when he was played through on goal and from the space of six yards out smashed the ball down the right hand corner to put the hosts back in front.

In the search for a third, Kedwell went for the volley, but again it was another chance which went within a couple of yards of the target.

However, with the final contribution of the game Rutherford got his second and the Hawks’ third when he gets the ball inside the area after Tarbuck’s initial effort was spilt, before the 21-year-old hammered the ball home to seal the win.

Full-Time: HAWKS 3-1 Cinderford Town

Starting XI: Latham, Straker, Walton, Magri, Drury, Kedwell (C), Tarbuck, Robson, Taylor, Paul, Rutherford

Subs on: Bailey, Flannigan 

Subs not used: Worner, Beckwith

Attendance: 385

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)