About Match

Goals either side of half time saw the Hawks into the hat for the Third Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup after a 2-1 win over Horsham.


Strikes by Roarie Deacon and Tommy Wright was enough to see Paul Doswell’s side into the next round, despite a late consolation for the visitors.


Horsham started the game brightly and enjoyed the lions share of possession in the opening exchanges. 


They created the first opportunity of the game ten minutes in when a good ball into the penalty area found O’Toole who’s effort went narrowly over the crossbar. 


The first chance for the hosts at Nyewood Lane came courtesy of an error at the back for Horsham which led Tommy Wright in on goal but his effort was parried away by House between the sticks.


Minutes later Deacon won the ball on the edge of the box before unleashing a great curled effort which was brilliantly matched by House, who continued to be a thorn in the Hawks’ side. 


The hosts took the lead just after the half hour mark following a great switch of play from Widdrington on the right flank who superbly found Deacon who brought the ball down with his first touch before smashing it home with his second. 


Following the goal the Hawks found themselves in the ascendency, with the pendulum in the game swinging. 


Before the break Deacon played a corner into Iaciofano who at the near post but couldn’t steer the ball goalbound, and then seconds before the interval the front three linked up well with the end result seeing the ball played out to Read who unleashed a thunderous effort with his right foot, tipped over the bar.




Following a collision towards the end of the first half, Ross Worner was replaced by Joe Tupper at the interval. 


The Hawks started the second half sniffing a second, and nearly got it five minutes after the restart when a good bit of build up saw the ball fall to Billy Clifford who went for goal just outside the box which went just wide of the post.


Seconds later Wright did well to get the better of his man before he teed up Iaciofano who turned before having a pop at goal deflected into House’s arms. 


Wright would then double the Hawks advantage with just half an hour to play, Deacon played the ball into his path and from the edge of the box Wright smashed the ball into the bottom left corner to give the hosts a cushion. 


Pushing for a third, Read down the right played an immaculate ball into Iaciofano who got past his man before going one on one but House matched and parried away. 


The same fate came a few minutes later, this time it was Wright feeding in his strike partner but House kept his side in the contest.


With ten minutes to play Widdrington had a free kick from 25 yards out, which curled just over the bar.


Horsham brought the deficit back to within one in the first minute of stoppage time when Will Miles headed the ball home from close range.


Trying to finish the tie off with seconds to go Sinclair got the better of three defenders before playing in Ajakaiye who’s effort hit the side netting. 



By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Starting XI: Worner, Read, Straker, Magri, Clifford, Iaciofano, Widdrington, Robson, Gomis, Wright, Deacon.

Subs on: Tupper, Sinclair, Ajakaiye

Subs not used: Diarra, Rowe, Walton, Bright