About Match

The Hawks kicked off their 20/21 league campaign at home to Maidstone with a disappointing 2-2 draw.


After leading by two goals to nil heading into second-half stoppage time, the Hawks were left with their heads in their hands as Maidstone netted two quick fire goals to ensure they would leave with a point.


Maidstone started the game well and created good opportunities going forward. However, it was the Hawks who nearly took the lead on 10 minutes. Bedsente Gomis picked up the ball 30 yards out and drove into the Stones’ penalty area. He glided past 3 defenders only for his eventual effort to be stopped comfortably by goalkeeper Chris Lewington.


The away side had a glorious opportunity to take the lead on 21 minutes when they were awarded a penalty. Justin Almazor’s effort came back off the post to keep the scores level.


That miss came back to haunt the visitors as the Hawks scored their first league goal of the season just shy of the half hour mark. An inch perfect ball from Theo Widdrington found Tommy Wright on the left. The forward played a delightful ball across the face of goal and Joe Iacaofano finished well past Lewington at the near post.


The hosts took control of the game just five minutes later when Gomis found an unmarked Iaciofano in the box. The striker took it cleanly under his spell before placing the ball across the keeper into the bottom corner.


Hayan Hayrettin’s side came out of the blocks in the opening stages of the second 45 and almost pulled one back on 55 minutes. Saidou Khan’s effort from range went narrowly wide of the post.


Maidstone really started to knock on the Havant door past the hour mark and again should have found the net. Rendell found himself bearing down on goal, but his effort sailed well over the crossbar.


Heading into the final third, Dos’ men grew into the game and stood firm against strong Maidstone pressure to maintain their two nil lead.


But a fine strike from Maidstone’s George Porter in stoppage time saw the away team get one back to make it an interesting finish, at the newly named Draper Tools Community Stadium.


And incredibly Maidstone snatched an equaliser with 60 seconds left to play, when Joe Ellul lept highest from a corner to guide the ball past the rooted Ross Worner.


The Hawks will dust themselves down from today’s result and go again on Wednesday night in the FA Cup at home to Chatham Town.