About Match

Wes Fodgen’s goal helped a resolute Hawks side secure all three points in a 1-0 win at Westleigh Park.

A first half strike by Fogden was enough for the Hawks as they saw the game out and got a vital win in an evenly contested battle.

The result means the Hawks jump back up to third place on 58 points.

Andy Drury was the only change to the starting eleven since the 2-1 loss to St Albans.

The opening ten minutes provided back and forth entertainment with both teams having glorious opportunities.

The contest started seconds into the game when Roberts progressed brilliantly down the left side and his cross reached an unmarked Harris who magnificently headed the ball over from close range.

Only two minutes passed and it was Junior Tiensia’s turn to go on a great run before eventually finding Fogden who gave it to Danny Kedwell to have a shot low at the keepers legs and win a corner.

Great combination play saw Roberts go through on goal only for his shot to be saved low by Ross Worner. In the same minute Havant went up the other end and now found themselves through on goal but it unfortunately ended in Bedsente Gomis blasting it over.

Although it started evenly, the Hawks went and dominated the last period of the first half.

With twenty-five minutes of the half to go, Gomis crossed the ball from the left finding Kedwell who leaped well but headed it straight into the keepers arms.

The Rebels did have a golden opportunity to go ahead when a short free kick was taken quickly down the right side to Lench before he crossed it in to Harris who’s header didn’t even go on target bringing disappointment to the travelling fans who felt they should have been in front.

Around the twenty-ninth minute mark Gomis managed to slip Fogden through on goal with only the keeper to beat and Havant’s number seven

poked it past the keeper to put the Hawks in front sparking celebrations amongst the home side.

HALF-TIME: Hawks 1-0 Slough Town

It was Slough who had the first chance of the second interval when Lench’s shot from outside the box travelled through everyone forcing Worner to react fast and get low to make the save.

The second half was quieter compared to the manic first but around the sixty-third minute mark a chance finally appeared when Kedwell scooped it over the defence for Gomis to run onto but it finished with him being dragged down for a Hawks free kick.

Nineteen minutes later saw Slough press on having consecutive free kicks in the oppositions half but Havant stayed resilient and defended well.

Four minutes left and Kedwell performed his trademark hold up play before slipping through substitute Alfie Rutherford who was lightning quick but just missed out to the Slough defender who had less ground to cover.

The last minute of the ninety saw the best chance of the second half. Kedwell flicked the ball through to Rutherford who took the ball round the keeper superbly with only an empty net to finish in but somehow he hit the left post, he then had another crack but it was blocked by a recovering defender which then rebounded out to Kedwell at the edge of the box who put it in the car park.

Seconds remaining and Fogden darted down the left side winning a valuable free kick but referee Richie Watkins decided there was no time left to take it as he blew the full time whistle leaving Hawks fans jubilant once again on a Wednesday night.

Full-Time: Hawks 1-0 Slough Town

Starting XI: Worner, Read, Beckwith, Fogden, Drury, Kedwell (c), Bailey, Robson, Tiensia, Taylor, Gomis

Subs on: Paul, Rutherford

Subs not used: Walton, Tarbuck, Dennett

Attendance: 1175

By Joshua Rance (@joshuarance)