About Match

Three second half strikes for Wealdstone saw the league leaders extend their lead over the Hawks to 11 points following their 4-2 win at Westleigh Park. 

The Hawks took the lead twice in the match through early goals in each half by Dean Beckwith and Danny Kedwell, but the Hawks would find themselves unable to hang onto the lead as the Stones dominated the second half.

Havant as a consequence of the result drop down to fourth in The National League South table.

The Hawks got themselves off to the perfect start just four minutes into the game when an Andy Drury corner found its way into Dean Beckwith in the centre who’s header was deemed to have crossed the line by the referee despite the visitors best attempts to clear the ball.

And in an opening ten which the home side bossed for large spells Walton had a chance with a header which he couldn’t steer goal bound before Drury provided another plum cross this time into Jonah Ayunga who’s header goes narrowly over the bar.

Two minutes later Wealdstone’s first effort of the game came when Efete had a poke at goal but would see his attempt crash into the side netting.

On the quarter hour mark Ayunga made a blistering run forward which forced Isted to come out and boot the ball away before seconds later Brad Tarbuck had a shot which was deflected out for a corner.

Despite the Hawks’ dominance in the opening salvo of the game, Wealdstone fought their way back and got an equaliser midway through the first period.

A cross into the box fell into Efete who ran free before powerfully nodding the ball into the back of the net.

On the half hour mark Fogden and Magri had efforts on goal for the Hawks but with the Stones piling bodies at the back, defence in numbers stopped the Hawks from getting their noses back in front.

Seconds later though a huge blow for the Hawks as Ayunga was forced off the field due to injury and was replaced by Alfie Rutherford.

An even first half would then quietly slow down in tempo, with both sides going in level at the break.

Half-time: Hawks 1-1 Wealdstone

The Hawks got their noses back in front straight after the interval when another Drury set piece, this time a free kick, proved fruitful as it found Kedwell who leaped highest to the ball before heading into the top right hand corner to re-establish the advantage.

Wealdstone responded five minutes later with Ross Worner needing to be on hand to make a huge save. With the ball bundled around the area Worner needed to tip the ball away before a subsequent header off the line to stop the stones from levelling.

However, that proved to be academic as minutes later the leaders were back on terms when a free kick found Moses Emmanuel who at the near post slotted home from close range.

Just after the hour mark Tarbuck played a cross into Rutherford but couldn’t leap high enough to get to the ball.

Five minutes later the Hawks were given a major let off when Worner slipped in the goal allowing Emmanuel to be played through, his effort was well saved by the Hawks ‘keeper who got back to his feet before being played through moments later and skying his chance way over the bar.

But, a good striker doesn’t need to be asked three times and with a quarter of an hour left to play the hosts were left to rue that rules of three when Clifford won the ball on the edge of the penalty area before squaring to Emmanuel who scored his second of the afternoon.

With just over ten minutes to play a free kick into the area was flicked on by Nicky Bailey, but Isted would be level to the effort.

However, Wealdstone would finish the game off with nine minutes left to play by grabbing their fourth as a mistake at the back saw Green tap home from close to score the goal which would inevitably secure the three points.

Full-Time: Hawks 2-4 Wealdstone

Starting XI: Worner, Straker, Walton, Beckwith, Magri, Fogden, Drury, Kedwell (c), Ayunga, Tarbuck, Taylor

Subs on: Read, Bailey, Rutherford

Subs not used: Cook, Paul

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Match Video