About Match

Roarie Deacon’s first half opener was cancelled out as the Hawks draw their National League South opener. 

Havant & Waterlooville got their season underway against Welling United on Saturday infront of a noisy Westleigh Park.

A crowd of 1348 gathered on the terraces to see the start of the Paul Doswell era at The Hawks and they got see a whole range of attacking threat from the home side, however much to their disappointed the second half goal that was needed to take all three points didn’t come.

It was The Hawks who saw most of the ball in the first 45 minutes as they kept possession well against a high Welling press.

In the 12thminute the hosts converted all their possession into a brilliant goal scoring opportunity as striker Jonah Ayunga slotted a neat pass behind the backline into the path of the electric Roarie Deacon who tucked the ball into the bottom corner with ease.

The goal was all the persuasion Welling needed to launch their own spell of attacks and all be it against the run of play Bradley Goldberg broke free on the far side and squared across the box into the path of Adam Coombes who touched the ball into the back of the net.

Half Time – Havant & Waterlooville 1-1 Welling United

The second half saw The Hawks come out with real attacking intent as they launched attack after attack in an attempt the claim all three points.

The hosts were piling the pressure on the Welling goal in the last 15 minutes lifting the crowd of over 1000.

Welling who stuck to their game plan after the break managed to hold the fort as they saw out an important away point.

Welling United however did try and steal the points in added time as a series of corners came their way meaning The Hawks back line had to put all of their experience to use.

After the five additional minutes that were added on the ref blew his whistle for the final time to put an end to a rather frustrating afternoon at Westleigh Park.

Full Time: Havant & Waterlooville 1-1 Welling United

By Liam Rice (@Liam_Rice9)

Match Video