About Match

Jonah Ayunga scored a second half winner to give the Hawks a hard thought 3-2 win over Weymouth in The National League South. 

Josh Taylor and Danny Kedwell got their names on the scoresheet in the opening period where four goals were shared equally.

After going in front in the second half, the Hawks had to stave off waves of attacks from the Terras to sure up the three points at Westleigh Park.

The win means the Hawks go up to second spot in the table, six points behind the leaders Wealdstone.

Two changes were made from the side which drew with Concord on Saturday with Andy Drury and Ayunga making the starting XI.

Within seconds of kick off the Hawks hit the post when Taylor from inside the penalty area smashed the ball onto the woodwork.

Two minutes later, he again had another chance to get the opener when his header from six yards out went just wide of goal.

The Terras came close in a frantic first five minutes when Wakefield’s effort went just wide of Ross Worner’s goal.

On the quarter hour mark the hosts got themselves in front when Danny Kedwell lead the line by example and gave the Hawks the lead.

A ball over the top found its way into the penalty area towards Kedwell who bought the ball down and smashed home from close distance.

Three minutes later the visitors equalised when Hobson found himself in space around 25 yards from goal before firing a shot which dipped over Worner into the roof of the net.

From the restart an end to end bruising encounter saw the Hawks come close to getting themselves back in front straight away when from a Kedwell free kick Read found the ball out wide on the right flank before firing a cross into Drury at the back post who came sliding into the ball, but not quite enough to poke it home.

Just beyond the half hour Baggie had an effort for Weymouth from distance which went just wide of goal.

Then five minutes before the interval the Terras got a penalty for a suspected handball against Benny Read.

From the spot Josh McQuoid had his effort saved by Worner before he scored from the rebound to put the visitors in front.

But in a first half with end to end action, it would be fair to be level at the break and the Hawks got themselves on terms a minute before the interval when Gomis sets the ball back to Taylor inside the penalty area before smashing the ball on his right foot into the bottom left hand corner.

Half-Time: Hawks 2-2 Weymouth

Five minutes after the interval Nicky Bailey had a free kick for the hosts from around 30 yards out which caused danger but eventually cleared by the Weymouth defence.

Two minutes later a corner kick found Simon Walton who from six yards out rose highest amongst a sea of players and headed just over the bar.

But on 54 minutes the Hawks got their noses back in front again when great build up play from the halfway line saw the ball played out to Benny Read on the right side before he crossed into Jonah Ayunga in the middle who nodded home from close range.

Four minutes later being a goal up the hosts would find themselves a man down when Bedsente Gomis was sent off for a second yellow card following a foul on the halfway line.

Then Weymouth with the man advantage threw the kitchen sink at the Hawks in order to try and find the games sixth goal but defensive efforts from Craig Robson, Simon Walton and Sam Magri stood firm to keep the Terras at bay.

Full-Time: Hawks 3-2 Weymouth