About Match

Rio Powell’s first half strike proved not to be enough as the young Hawks bowed out the FA Youth Cup after losing 2-1 to Winchester City. 

Freddie Doswell thought that he levelled the game with minutes to spare but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Two goals, one in either half, for the citizens was enough to secure their passage into the First Qualifying Round against Wimborne Town.

The team mixed a blend of students from both the South Downs College course run by Sam Game and the clubs in house Pro:Direct academy side which is lead by Tony Stares.

The Young Hawks did start brightly and had two chances within the opening ten minutes.

Three minutes in the ball was played into the path of Marvin Orepo who burst through into the penalty area before his effort dragged narrowly wide of the target.

Then Cameron Stone’s curled free kick from 25 yards out down the left hand side went narrowly over the bar.

Havant’s early pressure paid dividends 19 minutes in when they got their breakthrough. Rio Powell the scorer after beating his man to the ball inside the box before he calmly slotted it past the Winchester ‘keeper.

Three minutes later Orepo, who caused trouble up top all game, used his pace well to drive down the right side before squaring to Powell, but he couldn’t get to it or a second would have been inevitable.

But seconds later up the other end Winchester were given a penalty after a clumsy challenge inside the box.

George Bishop stepped up for the visitors and placed his penalty straight down the middle, sending Kensall the wrong way.

The Hawks looked as if they had an instance response in them and it was the dangerous Orepo who continued to ask the questions. This time down the left side he found himself on the edge of the box before he cut inside and went for goal from an acute angle, the Petersfield man would see his effort go just wide of goal.

Five minutes later Josh Miroy went for goal from 30 yards out, his attempt went just over the crossbar.

The hosts final chance of the half came when again Orepo broke free before getting a shot on goal inside the box, deflected out of play.

Half-Time: HAWKS 1-1 Winchester City

Five minutes after the restart, good play from the Hawks almost created an opening. The Hawks with some good touches inside the middle third before finding Orepo inside the box, but his first touch dragged the ball away from him, and fell straight into the hands of the Winchester ‘keeper.

Two minutes later again Orepo had an effort which went narrowly over.

Up the other end, Hawks ‘keeper Kensall made a great save to stop them from taking the lead. Jack Francis had a shot from the edge of the box heading to the top left corner, which was well parried.

The resulting corner would see the Hawks defence breached when Gus Banhire rose highest from 12 yards out before he powerfully nodded the ball home.

With just under 25 minutes remaining Siplovas for the Hawks had the ball fed into his path before have a go in the box from an acute position, but his effort went over.

Quarter of an hour later, Ngimbi broke free inside the penalty area but he couldn’t keep his effort down as it flashed over the bar.

Three minutes later, the Hawks sustained a period of pressure which they thought got them an equaliser.

Freddie Doswell played a fizzing cross come shot which forced Curtis into a smart save to get the ball out for a corner.

The resulting corner saw the ball into Doswell’s path who powerfully nodded the ball home, but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Full-Time: HAWKS 1-2 Winchester City

The Hawks knocked out the FA Youth Cup by the Citizens who now progress to take on Wimborne Town in the First Qualifying Round.

Hawks Starting XI: Kelsall, Siplovas, White, Stone, West, Harnett-Balkwill, Yeo, Miroy, Orepo (C), Gateshill, Powell

Subs on: Doswell, Cole, Ngimbi

Subs not used: Ricketts, Jalal, Smith

Attendance: 126

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)