About Match

Danny Kedwell’s late header was cancelled out in stoppage time as the Hawks walk away from the Gallagher Stadium with a point following a 2-2 draw. 

Kedwell scored with his first touch seven minutes from time after coming on as a substitute to put the Hawks 2-1 in front.

That strike would be cancelled out in second half stoppage time as Dan Wishart struck to give the Stones a point.

Anthony Straker levelled things up midway through the second half with a penalty.

There was a solitary change for the Hawks from the team which beat Hungerford Town in Midweek. Roarie Deacon came in the place of Alfie Rutherford who suffered a further blow during that success.

Havant started the opening ten minutes brightly and had their first foray on goal just three minutes in. Roarie Deacon drove the ball forward before finding Taylor, who in turn picked up Jonah Ayunga But his shot was deflected by the Stones defence.

But then it was the hosts who came forward, with the Hawks having to soak up considerable pressure. The main pressure came from set pieces with Chesmain being the architect playing some good balls into the box but neither Elokobi or Edwards would be able to latch their headers goalbound.

12 minutes in and Ross Worner had the first of what would end up being a number of meaningful saves to make when Edwards drove forward in space before cutting inside on the edge of the box before getting his shot away which was saved down low by the Hawks ‘keeper.

Three minutes later it was McClure that was causing problems in the box but again his effort inside the box was parried wide.

But, in the 25th minutes Worner’s net bulged when Sam Magri tried to head the ball back into his direction before Edwards intercepted and picked it, then once inside the penalty area he elected to chip the ball over Worner’s head and into the back of the net.

The Hawks had the better of the final five minutes and Brad Tarbuck had two decent opportunities in first half stoppage time to level the scores. The first came when Benny Read played a pinpoint ball into his path before getting the most delicate of touches which was well saved by Cole.

Seconds later inside the box he went for goal on the volley this time, his effort blocked courageously by Knight.

HALF-TIME: Maidstone United 1-0 HAWKS

Tarbuck, who had a couple of decent openings in the first half, was replaced at half time by Ryan Seager.

And the change seemed to galvanise the Hawks, so started the second half with some of the momentum which they finished the first with.

Five minutes after the restart Anthony Straker bought the ball down before playing it into the box, the effort cleared as far as Fogden who bought the ball down with his first touch before going for goal with his second, but went sailing narrowly over the bar.

With just over 25 minutes remaining the Hawks won themselves a penalty when Roarie Deacon was bought to the ground just inside the box following a cross by Straker.

And it was the Bath man, who scored seven in seven from the spot last season, who took responsibility. The kick was despatched down the bottom right corner to put the Hawks on level terms.

Then with just over a quarter of an hour remaining Joe Cook made a crucial contribution to stop Maidstone from regaining their advantage. Khan down the left hand side had a shot on goal from 12 yards out which was blocked off the line from the former Winchester youngster.

But in an end to end finish to the game, the Hawks went up the other end looking to breach the Stones defence. Roarie Deacon had an effort from the edge of the box deflected.

With just under 10 minutes to go Danny Kedwell was introduced to proceedings in the place of Roarie Deacon as the Hawks attacked a corner.

The resulting corner saw the ball fall sweetly for the striker at the back post to head home and score against his former club.

With a minute of normal time remaining Ross Worner made what looked like a game winning save. The ball was fed into the dangerous Khan who’s powerful effort was parried away from the top left by Worner.

However, with seconds of added on time left to play, the Hawks would be hit with a sucker punch as a ball down the right hand side was whipped to into the box towards Dan Wishart at the back post who nodded home to secure Maidstone a point.

FULL-TIME: Maidstone United 2-2 HAWKS

Starting XI: Worner, Read, Straker, Beckwith, Magri, Fogden (C), Ayunga, Deacon, Tarbuck, Bailey, Taylor

Subs used: Seager, Cook, Kedwell

Subs not used: Walton, Latham

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)