About Match

Heartbreak for the Hawks as late Marine goal secures win


The Hawks travelled to Merseyside to battle it out with Marine FC for a place in the FA Cup Third Round. Manager Paul Doswell called it a “50/50 game” and it’s fair to say the match could have gone either way.


It was a game that had to be taken to extra time to find the decisive goal. And unfortunately for the Hawks, they were to be on the wrong end of a last gasp winner…


Anthony Straker’s sending off in the final minutes of normal time was maybe a sign it wasn’t to be Havant’s day and Niall Cummins’ late effort in extra time meant Marine booked their place in the next round.


Both teams looked bright in the opening 20 minutes as they got a feel for the ball, but neither side were able to create anything going forward.


The first real sign of danger came with ten minutes to play of the first-half when Marine’s Neil Kengni picked the ball up down the right. The winger knocked the ball past Moussa Diarra, only to be taken down just before he entered the Hawks box. Despite claims for a penalty, the resulting free-kick flew straight into the arms of Ross Worner in the Havant goal.


The first-half sparked into life during stoppage time when the Mariners worked the ball well to get into the Hawks penalty area. Full-back James Joyce found Josh Hnami in space and the midfielder fired a shot towards goal only for it to rebound off the right post. Danger wasn’t averted, as Kengni reacted quickly and drew a smart stop from Worner, before Hnami blazed his second effort over the crossbar.


HT – Marine 0 HAWKS 0


The opening 15 minutes of the second-half saw Havant and Waterlooville have two headed chances. Tommy Wright’s glancing header from a Billy Clifford cross went agonisingly wide of the post. Whilst Sam Magri lept highest following a Josh Taylor free-kick, but his header found the arms of Marine keeper Bailey Passant who saved comfortably.


Marine’s main threat Kengni went close to putting them ahead when he took aim from range. He cut in from the right before powering a left-footed effort a yard over the crossbar.


The cup-tie burst into life on 67 minutes when at one end Momodou Touray stormed through on goal. The on-loan Salford man found himself one on one with Worner, but the Havant keeper stood firm and denied him with a strong save with his leg. Down the other end, Wright got away from his man down the left before pulling the ball back to Theo Widdrington. The substitute scuffed his shot and was easily pushed to safety by Pessant.


Neil Young’s men almost took the lead ten minutes later when Solomon Davies’ shot deflected off of striker Niall Cummins. Worner did extremely well to get down to his left and turn it behind.


The home team thought they should have had a penalty on 85 minutes when Cummins went down in the box following a challenge from Taylor, but nothing was to be given by the referee Ross Joyce.


But moments later, referee Joyce showed Hawks full-back Anthony Straker a second yellow card which meant the away side would play the remainder of the game with ten men.


FT – Marine 0 HAWKS 0


Marine started to pile the pressure on Havant, with them struggling to get out of their own half.  Touray played a clever one-two with Hnami to get inside the box, but the winger’s shot was straight at Worner. 


After seeing a lot of the ball, that was the only real chance the home team could muster in a tense first 15 minutes of extra time.


HT ET – Marine 0 HAWKS 0


Marine again had a lot of the ball, and late on they made that extra man count. A long free-kick into the box was headed back across the face of goal by Anthony Miley and Cummins was there to force the ball home past a helpless Worner.


Heartbreak for the Hawks who battled admirably after going a man down, but ultimately the pressure told and eighth tier side Marine deserved to secure a place in the third round of the FA Cup for only the second time in the club’s history. 


FT ET – Marine 1 HAWKS 0


Starting XI – Worner, Read, Magri, Diarra, Robson, Straker, Gomis, Clifford, Taylor, Deacon, Wright


Subs used – Widdrington, Sinclair, Iaciofano, McLennan


Subs not used – Tupper, Ajakaiye, Walton

By Ryan Honey