About Match

First half strikes from Alfie Rutherford and a Roarie Deacon screamer saw the Hawks beat Oxford City 3-0 at Marsh Lane. 

Rutherford opened the scoring three minutes in before Roarie Deacon struck a brilliant curling effort midway through the opening period.

Wes Fogden scores a third five minutes after the interval as the Hawks professionally see off Mark Jones’ side.

The win sees Havant go up to second in The National League South table.

There was just one change from the team which drew with Eastbourne Borough on Monday. Alfie Rutherford, who missed the game with a dead leg, returned in the place of Benny Read.

And Rutherford would get the Hawks off to the perfect start just three minutes in when Bailey played a ball into the box towards Ayunga at the far post which was palmed away as far as the 21 year-old striker who tapped home from a yard out.

Two minutes later Wes Fogden played a delightful ball across goal, but the ball curled away before finding Rutherford who found a real eye for goal early on.

In an eventful opening ten minutes the hosts thought they had a chance to level when Ashby played the ball into Stefan Brown who got the ball past Worner but ran out of space before being able to fashion a chance on goal.

Two minutes later Josh Taylor picked the ball up in the centre before finding Roarie Deacon who’s cross failed to find Ayunga at the far post.

Andy Drury came off after 17 minutes, Benny Read came on in his place as the Hawks re adjusted formation.

A minute later the Hawks again pulled a cross in but to no avail when this time Ayunga played the teaser in the penalty area but Taylor couldn’t get his head on the end of it.

Six minutes later Jonah Ayunga hit the side netting when he picked the ball up inside the box, moved out to his left before pulling the trigger.

Seconds later Rutherford had a go from distance, his effort straight at the throat of King in the Oxford City goal.

But the Hawks would get their second just after the half hour when Roarie Deacon curled a superb effort into the top right hand corner. The ball is fed into him and with options on the overlap he looked up at goal before unleashing an effort which nestled the back of the net.

A minute after the restart Kiran Wiltshire should have pulled one back for the hosts. He broke free with the ball at his feet with Worner out, he chipped the Havant ‘keeper before his effort goes narrowly wide of goal.

Two minutes before the interval they had another go when Self had a header flashed across goal which went wide of the target.

But it would be the visitors that had the final chance of the half when When Rutherford burst forward before cutting inside the box, he had a go on goal but his effort was saved by the feet of Craig King, the latter’s final contribution to the game.

HALF-TIME: Oxford City 0-2 HAWKS

Havant started the second half brightly. Two minutes after the restart Roarie Deacon came close to bagging his second of the afternoon when he had a go from the edge of the box with another curling effort this time he saw his shot go just over the bar.

But, the Hawks wouldn’t be denied though three minutes later when Wes Fogden got his name on the scoresheet. It was Anthony Straker with the initial effort which was blocked as far as Fogden who from close range fired the ball into the bottom right hand corner.

And seconds after the third, the ball was cleared off the goal line when a corner went deep into the box to only be cleared off the line without the Hawks being able to get a clear cut chance on goal.

Oxford went straight up the other end and Anthony Straker has to clear another ball off the line when Wiltshire had a header going goal bound.

Just before the hour mark Roarie Deacon won the ball down the right hand side before playing it across to Ayunga but he couldn’t fashion an effort onto goal as Oxford pulled bodies back.

Two minutes later Ashby for the hosts had a curling effort on his right foot which was expertly dealt with by Worner.

With just over 20 minutes to go Sam Magri came close to making it four when Nicky Bailey played a pin point ball into the box towards the Maltese international who’s header went sailing over the bar.

Five minutes later Havant came calling again when Roarie Deacon flashed a ball across goal into Jonah Ayunga, his effort saved by substitute keeper Caro.

The hosts finished the game with a flourish of sorts. Two minutes from time McEachran had a go from the edge of the penalty area, his effort blocked by Wes Fogden.

Seconds later, Oxford had the ball in the back of the net but the flag went up on McEachran who got on the end of Jefford’s cross.

FULL-TIME: Oxford City 0-3 HAWKS

A professional away performance from the Hawks who keep their unbeaten record at the start of the season going.

Hawks XI: Worner, Straker, Walton, Magri, Fogden (C), Drury, Ayunga, Deacon, Bailey, Taylor, Rutherford

Subs on: Read, Tarbuck, Beckwith 

Subs not used: Latham, Cook

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)

Match Video