About Match


The Hawks battled against Storm Dennis and promotion rivals Slough Town to earn a point in a 1-1 draw away at Arbour Park.

The hosts led the game until Jonah Ayunga put Havant back on level terms early into the second period.

The result keeps the Hawks in third place and 7 points behind leaders Wealdstone in the National League South.

Paul Doswell made three changes since the goalless draw against Dulwich Hamlet last week seeing Dean Beckwith, Bradley Tarbuck and Wes Fogden come into the starting eleven.

Slough dominated throughout the first twenty minutes with positive play and the wind behind them.

It started slow for Havant early on when Togwell put the ball in the back of the net only for Slough to be denied by offside.

The Rebels continued as Harris won his team a corner which was put into the box and hit low on the volley forcing a great save out of Worner who was quick to his right side.

Finally Havant produced some great combination play, despite the conditions, which led to Benny Read crossing the ball just inches over Danny Kedwell’s head.

After being on the back foot the Hawks stepped it up and also saw a goal disallowed by referee Tom Bishop as Ayunga put it between the posts.

Adding to the large amount of corners already taken Slough then proceeded to have three corners in a row with the third seeing Togwell miss a close range sitter.

The Hawks kept pressing as Fogden’s effort won a corner four minutes before the interval after a slight mix up at the back saw Slough’s keeper thinking twice about coming out for Kedwell’s flick over the top.

Slough’s commitment to constantly test Havant’s defence in the difficult conditions finally paid off as a long ball was misjudged by Craig Robson and collected by Lench, who dribbled down the right side into the box before slotting it past Worner to give the Rebels the lead in additional time.

HALF-TIME: Slough Town 1-0 Hawks

Anthony Straker kicked things off for the Hawks as his cross/shot was smartly saved and converted into a Slough counter as Worsfold and Roberts bombarded forward before eventually being dealt with by Worner.
Havant carried on this spell with a throw in from the right side being flicked on into box by Kedwell to Ayunga who volleyed it over.

Around the sixty-fifth minute mark Nick Bailey’s ball into the box looked an easy catch for the keeper but a collision with his own player saw the ball slip from his grasp and cleared for a throw in. The box full of bodies watched the ball thrown back in the area and Ayunga was able to tuck it away from close range at the back post to equalise for Havant.

The host’s first real chance of the second half came seven minutes after the equaliser when substitute Harris skipped past the defence with a step-over and fired a powerful strike outside the box at Worner who needed two attempts to keep the ball.

The remaining twenty-eight minutes of the match belonged to the Hawks as they had the most promising chances to get the third goal of the game.

This positive period started with another impressive long ball from Straker to pick out Kedwell who saw his effort goes straight into the keepers gloves after doing incredibly well to get his head on the end of it.

Minutes after, Read decided to go on a mazey run down the right side ending in him crossing the ball to substitute Alfie Rutherford who put his effort just wide.

The Hawks now had the opportunity to use the wind with goal kicks and they took full advantage as Worner’s ball traveled far up the pitch to Josh Taylor who turned the defender and dragged his effort high and wide.

With only five minutes left of the match a late winner for the Hawks still seemed realistic as Kedwell played Andy Drury through but unfortunately the substitute only managed to scuff the ball close to goal.

The Rebels could have undeservedly stole all three points late into additional time when a smart free kick taken by their keeper landed on a Slough Town head and just traveled over the bar.

Havant also could have taken all three points when Taylor’s long throw was met at the back post by Drury who unfortunately saw his effort cleared off the line giving fans déjà vu about his effort last week which also beat the keeper not the defender.

The corner was taken and Robson climbed high but his effort went over the bar ending a good chance for the Hawks and the game.

FULL-TIME: Slough Town 1-1 Hawks

Starting XI: Worner, Read, Straker, Beckwith, Fogden, Kedwell (c), Ayunga, Tarbuck, Bailey, Robson, Taylor

Subs on: Drury, Rutherford

Subs not used: Eyres, Paul

By Joshua Rance (@joshuarance)