About Match

Jonah Ayunga scored a brace and Ross Worner saved a penalty as the Hawks beat St.Albans City 3-1 at Clarence Park.

Ayunga struck once in both halves whilst Worner saved a penalty late on to deny a grandstand finish in Hertfordshire.

Danny Kedwell blasted a penalty home just before the interval to give the visitors a two goal lead at the break.

The victory sees Paul Doswell’s team up to third in The National League South table after a favourable set of results.

Ian Baird, who stood in for Doswell, made one change from the team which beat Concord Rangers last time out with Josh Taylor returning to the lineup in the place of Alfie Rutherford.

The Hawks got off to a good start with a chance just two minutes in when Josh Taylor slipped the ball through to Jonah Ayunga who from inside the box saw his effort parried by Dean Snedker who had a busy afternoon between the sticks for the Saints.

Five minutes later a corner from Drury down the left side found its way to Craig Robson at the back post who headed the ball down but cleared away by the home side.

On the quarter hour mark Andy Drury tried his luck on goal with a half volley, after being teed up by Danny Kedwell, but his effort would drag narrowly wide of the target.

Two minutes later the Hawks would get their opener with Ayunga hitting double digits for league goals this season when he managed to get on the end of the ball following a goalmouth scramble before being the one to steer it home to give the visitors the impetus.

Five minutes from the break the Hawks found a second wind in the half as the rain continued to lash it down. Bradley Tarbuck went for goal from around 30 yards out forcing a brilliant save from Snedker to stop it flying into the top corner.

Seconds later, Ayunga went for goal but his effort was matched by Snedker.

A minute from time, Drury went down inside the penalty area with the referee pointing to the penalty spot.

Up stepped Danny Kedwell who blasted his effort down the bottom left corner to make it two before the break.

HALF-TIME: St Albans City 0-2 HAWKS

Jake Flannigan came on at the break in the place of the lively Tarbuck who picked up a knock in the opening period.

The Hawks came close to making it three five minutes after the restart when Jonah Ayunga broke clear of two St Albans defenders before knocking the ball narrowly wide when one on one with Snedker.

But the hosts came charging back with a spell which saw Havant tested to the hilt.

The first chance of this spell came when Simon Shulton had an effort on goal from the best part of 25 yards out which curled wide of the goal.

Then, with just over half an hour to go St Albans pulled one back when from close range Shulton tapped home following a scramble for the ball inside the six yard box.

However, the Hawks came charging back looking to get the third which would wrestle control right back in their hands.

First saw Jonah Ayunga go for goal from close range before his effort went wide of the mark.

Seconds later, Danny Kedwell got on the end of a pinpoint cross by Anthony Straker but the header by Kedwell would sail narrowly over the bar.

Then in quick succession Drury had a header which dragged narrowly wide before Kedwell had a strike which was well blocked.

Ayunga though would save Hawks blushes with just over 20 minutes to play when Jake Flannigan’s cross into the box found the Kenyan who bundled home to give the visitors a handy cushion.

St Albans won a penalty with just over five minutes to play when Josh Taylor fouled Monsouda for the hosts.

Ross Worner would save the following spot kick before two heroic goal line clearances to keep the two goal buffer.

The Saints would have the final chance of the game in stoppage time when Monsouda went for goal but his effort was smartly blocked by Straker to keep the points safely in the Hawks’ back pocket.

FULL-TIME: St Albans City 1-3 HAWKS 

Starting XI: Worner, Straker, Beckwith, Magri, Drury, Kedwell (C), Ayunga, Tarbuck, Bailey, Robson, Taylor

Subs on: Flannigan, Rutherford, Paul

Subs not used: Walton, Seager

By Henry Deacon (@H_Deaconmedia)