About Match

St Albans 1 HAWKS 0

The Hawks fell to a 1-0 defeat away to St Albans as they got back into league action.

A Joe Newton own goal minutes before the interval proved decisive as the hosts came away with three points.

This defeat leaves Paul Doswell’s side in 10th position after six games, having won three and lost three.

Match Action

Tommy Wright was gifted the first chance of the afternoon when the ball broke to him in the St Albans penalty area. The striker couldn’t generate the necessary power to beat Michael Johnson and it was smothered to safety.

After a quiet 20 minutes or so, the game sparked into life when Billy Clifford received the ball on the edge of the area. Clifford cut inside and sent a delicious curling effort which looked destined for the top right hand corner, only to cannon back off the crossbar.

Paul Doswell’s side thought they had taken the lead moments later when Clifford’s corner was directed goalwards. Huw Dawson managed to get back on the goal-line to clear.

St Albans would create a chance of their own past the half-hour mark when Shaun Jeffers picked up the ball just inside the Hawks’ box. The striker was closed down by Worner and the opportunity went begging.

It would be the hosts to open the scoring on the brink of half-time. A dangerous ball in from the left was turned into his own net by Joe Newton as he attempted to clear.

HT – St Albans 1 HAWKS 0

There was a reaction after the break from the visitors as Abdulai Baggie brought the best out of goalkeeper Johnson. Baggie sent a fine long-range shot that needed tipping over the crossbar.

Shaun Jeffers, who started the day as the league’s top goalscorer, was kept relatively quiet until 63 minutes in when the ball fell kindly to him in the Hawks area. The striker was met by an on-rushing Ross Worner and the ball was claimed by the goalkeeper.

After making a triple substitution midway through the second-half, the pressure began to ramp up on the St Albans backline. Substitute Alex Wall thought he’d done enough to equalise when he met a dangerous ball in from the left. But the striker could only direct it straight into the arms of Johnson.

It didn’t seem to be Havant’s day, and that was emphasized in second-half stoppage time when another substitute Scott Rendell met Clifford’s corner from the right. Rendell leapt highest and connected well with the ball only to see it fly harmlessly wide of the post.

Attention for the Hawks now turns back to Cup action as host Billericay Town in the FA Cup Third Round Qualifying on Saturday 2nd October.

FT – St Albans 1 HAWKS 0

St Albans Starting XI – Johnson, Bender ©, Wiltshire, Akinola (84), Jeffers, Diedhiou (45), Dawson, Lankshear, Adebiyi, Mukena, Goddard (90)

Subs used – Weiss (45), Banton (84), Sole (90)

Subs not used – Bani, Noble

HAWKS Starting XI – Worner, Magri, Oastler ©, Rooney (63), Newton, McCarthy, Gobern, Clifford, Baggie (63), Wright, Roberts (63)

Subs used – Passley (63), Wall (63), Rendell (63)

Subs not used – Collins, Adebowale

Written by: Ryan Honey