About Match

Paul Doswell’s side made three changes to the starting XI, with Clifford coming back in from suspension, alongside Baggie and Rendell lining up in a 4-3-3 formation.

Two injuries in the first 20 minutes didn’t stop the Hawks from creating chances. The first Hawks goal came as the ball is picked up at the half way line and distributed to James Roberts who calmly chipped the Angels ‘keeper.

Drama unfolded just before the half-time whistle resulting in Paul Doswell being shown a red card. There was a professional start to the second half as neither team had any clear cut chances in the first 10 minutes.

James Roberts came close to doubling his tally but it was pushed away by Henly before pressure from Tonbridge caused some problems for the Hawks in the final third of the match.

Late pressure from Tonbridge wasn’t enough for an equaliser as Hawks’ fantastic defence display secures all three points.


The injuries and availability continue to concern the Hawks as Collins is forced off within the first 6 minutes with Paul Rooney coming in.

The first big chance came from the Angels as Modeste whipped a vicious ball into the box but Olutade missed the ball in the area.

Two great chances in quick succession for the Hawks – Baggie went one on one with Henly which resulted in a great save. He came into action once again as a Passley cross was met with Scott Rendell’s downward header but it was straight at the Angels keeper from just a yard away.

Another injury worry came in the 20th minute as Rendell was substituted off following that chance, on came Joe Newton. A dinked effort from O’Sullivan resulted in a corner for Tonbridge but it was cleared off the line in the 25th minute.

The first Hawks goal came 10 minutes later as Harry Hudson took a heavy touch at the halfway line, Baggie was able to poke the ball through to James Roberts who could run and dink the ball home.

There was late Hawks drama deep into first half stoppage time starting with Joe Newton receiving a blow to the face. Things quickly escalated and Hawks manager Paul Doswell was sent off for descent.


 A quick cross from the Angels was the first big chance of the half, Smith-Joseph picked the ball up in the six-yard box but shot wide to the right of Will Mannion.

James Roberts came close to a second with a good strike outside the box on his right foot as he tries to bend it around the keeper but it was palmed away by Henly. A booking for Billy Clifford came a few minutes later.

Pressure from the Angels troubled Hawks in the closing stage of the game, Joe Oastler cleared the ball off the line with 5 minutes to go following an Angels corner. A couple of yellow cards were picked up for Mike Green and Joe Turner in the last few minutes.

A late equaliser was blocked off the line by the sea of Hawks bodies in the final minute of stoppage time.

Final score; Tonbridge Angels 0, Hawks 1.

HAWKS Starting XI: Mannion(gk), Passley, Oastler ©, Green, McCarthy, Clifford, Baggie, Collins, Gobern, Rendell, Roberts

SUBS: Searle (gk), Rooney, Newton, Widdrington, Chambers-Parillon


TONBRIDGE Starting XI: Henly(gk), O’Sullivan, Braham-Barrett, Lovatt, Miles ©, Hudson, Modeste, Beere, Olutade, Smith-Joseph, Turner

SUBS: Fielding, Loft, Wood, Hutchinson, Zamani

Written by: Adam Nixon