About Match

First half strikes by Ollie Dennett and Jonah Ayunga continue the Hawks’ scintillating pre-season with a 2-0 win over Winchester City.

The strikes capped off a good all round performance from the lads in the searing heat in the County City.

A Hawks XI comprised of a mixtures of first team players who haven’t got minutes, academy players and Trialists. 

Winchester opened the game strongly and created a couple of opportunities forcing the Hawks defence into some early work. 

However, despite the early pressure by the Citizens it was the Hawks that took the lead after 12 minutes. Ollie Dennett was the scorer after a good ball from the right hand side was played into the path of Josh Taylor who played the ball across the face of the goal for Dennett to poke home from close range.

Three minutes later Winchester would have had an equaliser but for the brilliance of Kingsley Latham. The on-loan ‘keeper from Southampton got a big hand to Simba Mlambo’s effort from the edge of the penalty area.

But Havant stemmed the tide two minutes later and got a second which really became a stomach settler when Jonah Ayunga found himself in space from around 30 yards out and unchallenged by the Winchester defence elects to go for goal with a thunderous attempt which rifled past the helpless Ryan Pryce in the City goal.

Following the second strike the Hawks went for the jugular with two attempts in a space of a few minutes.

The first came when Anthony Straker, who was rampant down the left flank, flashed a ball across the penalty area into path of Ollie Dennett but the ball was cut out before it reached him.

Then, Benny Read looked to replicate Ayunga’s strike from earlier as he went for Goal from deep inside the Winchester half, but his fizzing effort rose just over.

Having soaked up the pressure the Hawks have put on them, Winchester came close to halving the arrears just before the half hour mark when Kingsley Latham pulled of a superb finger tips save to the top left corner from close distance.

HALF-TIME: Winchester 0-2 Havant and Waterlooville

The sweltering heat as the Hampshire sun set along with sticky conditions saw the game slowed down somewhat in the second period as both sides had a battle of endurance in testing conditions.

Havant started the brighter and had the halves most clear cut opportunity six minutes after the restart when Ollie Dennett, a standout for the Hawks throughout, burst clear of the Winchester defence before having a pop at goal from the best part of 30 yards out but it was another long range effort which was inches from nestling the onion bag.

The Hawks with the conditions becoming more testing slowed the game down and the second period became an opportunity to look at shape in a game play situation.

Havant looked superior down both flanks but for dogged defending by the hosts they would be restricted to opportunities inside the penalty area.

There was also opportunities for academy starlets Marvin Orepo and Charlie Merritt to gain minutes for the first team towards the end to blood them into the first team environment.

And Orepo nearly made it three with just over five minutes left to play when a teasing cross fell into his path from around 10 yards out but he couldn’t quite wrap his foot around the ball to fire it home.

FULL-TIME: Winchester 0-2 Havant and Waterlooville

Match Video