About Match

A tough evening for the Hawks saw league newcomers Aveley visit Westleigh Park and take all 3 points back to Essex. A couple of changes from the defeat to Dartford saw the Hawks playing their first midweek game under Steve King as the fixtures start to come thick and fast. Despite taking the lead, Aveley found their groove and led into the interval before adding to their advantage in the second period. A disappointing result for the Hawks who still have plenty to do as the project continues.

The Hawks started the game the better side but it was Aveley who had the first chance, Eduino Vaz coming in off the left to call Charles-Cook into action. The Hawks number 16 was equal to it preventing Vaz but not holding on. The ball eventually ended back with Vaz who, now in a more central position volleyed over the bar.

Havant would build on their strong start to proceedings with Muhammadu Faal burying his strike into the bottom corner to open the scoring. Faal made the move and was picked out running between the Aveley defenders, he controlled and made no mistake about it as he added another goal to his tally for the season.

The Hawks would continue on the front foot and would almost get it just a couple of minutes after the opener, Devante Stanley would drive forwards down the right hand side before drilling a low ball across the face of goal in search of the goalscorer Faal. Aveley skipper Harry Gibbs on the recovery was able to intercept and clear the ball out of play. The pressure would continue from the Hawks with another chance just not quite sitting for Roberts. McCarthy sent a long ball forward in search of the Hawks number 21 who had made a run in behind the Aveley back line. Roberts looked to control but Aveley on the recovery were able to clear their lines before Roberts could control and punish. McCarthy would be involved a couple of minutes later as he picked up the ball after Spence nodded a clearance forward, he lashed a low ball across the area but there was nobody in white able to capitalise.

Aveley would strike themselves level on the 20 minute mark through Eduino Vaz. Picked out in space by Matt Rush before driving to the edge of the area and striking past Reice Charles-Cook getting the visitors back on terms.

The game would open up from that point with both sides having opportunities to fire themselves ahead, but it would be the Hawks who had more chances. Aveley would again call Charles-Cook into action as he denied Charlee Hughes before Kai Innocent, Sion Spence and James Roberts would work play forward down the Hawks left hand side but they were unable to pick out Faal in the area. Spence would be involved again as he won the ball high up and drove froward, he played a low cross into James Roberts who couldn’t quite guide his effort on target.

Following a corner, it would be Aveley who took the lead. Swung into the area, Rush was able to get his head on the cross which looked like it was heading wide before it hit Harry Gibbs who tangled with Bonner in the 6-yard box before ending up in the back of the net.

The Hawks would continue to push for an equaliser before the interval with a pair of excellent chances on the stroke of Half Time. Stanley threaded a ball through to Faal who, in similar position from where he scored the opening goal, was denied by the fingertips of Aveley keeper North. From the resulting corner, Aveley were unable to completely clear their lines.  Spence on the area looked to find a yard for a shot but instead set the ball to Jebb who struck at goal but was denied by North who got down low to make the stop.


The Hawks started off the half with an opportunity to challenge Aveley’s defence with Spence swinging a ball into the area. Stanley made the run around the back but Vaz was on hand to head behind for a corner. The visitors were able to clear their lines and start to build.

The fight to get back on terms continued with Spence the latest to strike at goal in the early minutes of the second period. The Aveley defence stood strong and refused to let the Hawks have a clear-cut chance to equalise. James Roberts got himself in on the action minutes later, but he saw his strike go just over North’s bar.

Both sides fashioned half chances with the Hawks looking dangerous through Faal and Stanley but Aveley had threats of their own with Rush and Hughes and it was the latter who extended the visitors lead just before the hour mark to give the Essex side some breathing room. It was the two forwards who combined with Rush setting Hughes who finished his chance with the help of a big deflection off Zouma to wrongfoot Charles-Cook and see the ball nestle in the back of the net.

Not long after their third of the night Aveley went in search of a fourth, winning the ball high up the field as they sprung forward. Kyei looked to get a strike away but was denied by the recovering Berkeley-Agyepong.

McCarthy would find himself with a few opportunities to grab the Hawks’ second of the night around the halfway point of the second period. The target of a Hawks corner saw McCarthy challenged by North with neither able to clear before Innocent picked out McCarthy with the recycled ball back into the area but McCarthy couldn’t find the target with his effort. A few minutes later, McCarthy would collect on the edge of the area and strike at goal but Aveley’s Stephen would do just about enough to get in the way of the effort.

Zouma won the ball high up before possession ending up with Spence. With his back to goal he set McCarthy who clipped a ball through to Faal but he couldn’t get his strike away with the Hawks once again looking for that avenue to pull themselves back within 1. Opportunities would come for the Hawks with McCarthy, Berkeley-Agyepong and Roberts all unable to find the target with the clock ticking down.

Aveley found their fourth of the night through substitute Alex Hernandez with just ten minutes to play. With play worked down the left, Rush would find enough space to slip the ball through to Hernandez, who evaded a challenge and struck past Charles-Cook to put the game to bed.

With seven minutes to play, the Hawks were reduced to 10 men as Tom Bonner received his marching orders after being deemed to have committed a second cautionable offence and having already been booked he was sent off leaving the Hawks to play the final exchanges with 10. The Hawks would see chances to reduce the deficit before the end of the game through Jebb and McCarthy but neither were unable to get past North before the referee brought the game to a close.

It was a third consecutive defeat in the league for the Hawks leaving plenty of work to do to ensure a bounce back against Dorset outfit Weymouth in just a few days time.



Havant and Waterlooville: Charles-Cook (GK), Stanley, Innocent, McCarthy (C), Faal, Jebb, Berkeley-Agyepong (Mehew 81’), Zouma, Roberts, Spence (Jewitt-White 81’), Bonner

Unused Subs: Worner (GK), McNerney, Stedman

Cautions: Bonner 75’, Zouma 79’

Sent Off: Bonner 83’

Goals: Faal 8’


Aveley: North (GK), Ring, Stephen, Odelusi, Jones, Gibbs (C), Rush, Kelly, Hughes (Hernandez 80’), Kyei (Aileru 84’), Vaz

Unused Subs: Dada, Davis, Nzengo

Cautions: Hughes 21’

Goals: Vaz 20’,  Gibbs 35’, Hughes 57’, Hernandez 80’


ATT: 849

Report by Josh Verroken