About Match

A first League game at Westleigh Park for Steve King in the National League South saw the visit of Hampton & Richmond with the Hawks having last played at home just shy of a month ago. The tie ended in defeat from the Hawks taking the lead early in the first half. Roberts the man to give the advantage from the spot before goals from Donaldson and Kurran-Browne either side of the interval gave Mel Gwinnett’s side all 3 points. A tough result for the Hawks but an improved performance throughout.

The Hawks started off the game fast building pressure on the Hampton & Richmond defence with some excellent play from Berkeley-Agyepong playing the ball into the feet of Faal, but the chance to take the lead came to waste that would put the Hawks in front in the first 5 minutes of the game. Both teams looked to open the defence up to create some chances until the referee blew the whistle for a penalty after Muhammadu Faal cut in from the right and was brought down inside the box by Dean Inman, Roberts stood up to take the penalty and drilled it into the bottom right corner of the net to put the Hawks in front with 10 minutes on the clock. Havant & Waterlooville looked to make it a second from a quick counterattack, winning the ball in the midfield into the feet of Mehew which was recovered by Wishart. Hampton & Richmond found their way through the Hawks defence with Donaldson getting through one on one with Worner who made an excellent save to keep the Hawks ahead.


Hampton & Richmond found their way back into the game after a cross from the left side whipped in by Pittbaldo on to the head of Donaldson; with a looping header slotted past Worner into the top right corner of the net inside 25 minutes. A Hampton & Richmond were forced into an early substitution with Donaldson struggling to continue. The Hawks defence were put under immense pressure since the equaliser with the visitors continuously getting into attacking areas with Worner needing to make many crucial saves to prevent a lead for the Hampton & Richmond. In the last minute of stoppage time Roberts, Crowe and Mehew link up well before the ball fell into the feet of Faal, where he gets the shot away but is blocked by Fernandez.


Half Time: Havant & Waterlooville 1 – 1 Hampton & Richmond


The Hawks came out in the second half the brighter playing on the front foot, in the first minute of the second half Mehew whipped in a cross from the right-hand side that found Faal but missed the target that could have made it a second for Havant creating pressure for the visitors. Roberts was involved again with a shot from range but missed the frame of the goal. Muhammadu Faal showed his skills once again against the Hampton defence cutting on from the left-hand side of the box and taking the shot which beat Debois but smashed against the bar which then was cleared out. Hampton & Richmond came back on the attack with Pitbaldo finding Bloomfield, but the shot was dragged wide of the Hawks goal. The Hawks broke on to a counterattack from a Hampton corner with Roberts running the length of the pitch, crossing it hoping to find the head of Faal but the striker doesn’t find enough power to put pressure on Debois. Muhammadu Faal’s attacking involvement continued after creasting space having cut in but Debois made it down to make the save.


The Hawks continued to be a huge threat during the second half with excellent link-up play between Mehew and Berkeley-Agyepong on the edge of the area before the ball found the feet of Stedman where his strike missed the target. Bloomfield caused trouble for the Hawks back line cutting in from the left-hand side and took the shot on from the 18-yard line but narrowly misses the goal. Soon after the visitor’s last chance, Hampton & Richmond found the lead after a powerful strike from Kurran-Browne is drilled past Ross Worner to make it 1-2 to the visitors after a slight distraction in the Hawks’ technical area kept the Hawks down to 10 men with Kedman being held back from entering the pitch again. Ross Worner is forced into making a phenomenal 1 on 1 save to prevent a third goal for the visitors after Hampton & Richmond broke out into a quick counterattack. A red card was shown to a member of the Hampton & Richmond bench for delaying the restart after the ball went out for a throw in during the 8 additional minutes of added time.


Full Time: Havant & Waterlooville 1 – 2 Hampton & Richmond


Havant & Waterlooville: Worner (GK), Innocent (Kedman 56’), Crowe (Stedman 62’), McCarthy (C), Mehew (Jewitt-White 73’), Faal, Willson, Jebb, Berkeley-Agyepong, Roberts, Bonner


Hampton & Richmond: Debois (GK), Donaldson (Bloomfield 33’), Inman, Fernandez, Whittingham, Seymour, Gray (C), Deadfield, Hunt (Kurran-Browne 70’), Wishart, Pitblado


Report by Ollie Turner