About Match

Hemel Hempstead Town kicked off and were the team on top for the opening 10 minutes. The Tudors almost scored the opener from a corner in the 2nd minute, which Montel McKenzie got a foot onto but couldn’t keep down. George Williams came close a few minutes later when he pounced on a miskick from Ross Worner, but his shot from outside the box flew narrowly wide of the post. 

Hemel were in control of the game for the opening spell, but Havant were happy to sit back and wait for an opportunity to present itself. This opportunity came in the 13th minute when Ryan Seager pickpocketed Tudors keeper James Taylor on the edge of the Tudors box. Seager strolled into the box and calmly dinked the ball into the empty net, making the score 1-0 to the Hawks.  

The goal made the game a lot more open, with both sides having spells on the ball. Myles Judd found himself with space to run into on the left-hand side just after the 20th minute and sent a cross into the Hawks box that looked to be curling into the net. However, Worner was able to pluck it out of the air and nullify any danger. 

The Tudors were spurred on by this chance and grew back into the game. Kaylen Hinds and George Williams attempted to equalise, but the best chance fell to Kyle Ajayi. Josh Williams sent in a lovely floated corner to the back post which Ajayi was there to meet, but the defender sent his header wide of the post at point blank range. 

Just before the end of the half Ajayi put his body on the line to head away a dangerous free kick from Jake McCarthy that could have nestled into the Tudors net. 

Half time: Hemel Hempstead Town 0-1 Havant and Waterlooville

Both sides came out firing for the second spell. In the 47th minute Michael Folivi darted into the Hawks box and took a shot straight at Worner. However, instead of calmly catching it like usual the Hawks stopper dropped the ball, causing a scuffle. Joe McNerney was able to get the ball before anyone else and clear it from danger before Worner’s mistake was pounced on. 

McNerney’s clearance fell to James Roberts on the left-hand side of the pitch, who charged towards the Tudors box from the halfway line. Once Roberts had ran a fair distance, he put a beautiful cross into the box that found Alfy Whittingham on his own. Alfy powerfully headed the ball towards goal and it smashed into the back of the net, making the score 2-0 to the Hawks. 

After their second goal the Hawks were closing down the Tudors much more and piling the pressure on them. Both Harry Jewitt-White and Jake McCarthy had chances to extend the Hawks lead from outside the box, but James Taylor dealt with both shots calmly. 

Hemel brought on Tarrelle Whittaker for Myles Judd to try and wrestle back control from the Hawks. Whittaker almost had an instant impact, pickpocketing Whittingham just outside the Hawks box and sending a shot towards goal. Worner was able to get across to the shot and make the save to deny Whittaker a goal. 

The Hawks and Tudors both made changes but none of these really affected the game. The final chance of any note fell to the Tudors in the closing five minutes. George Williams won a set piece just outside the Hawks box late on, but it was fired agonisingly wide by Folivi. 

The Hawks put on a dominant display that hasn’t been seen away from home many times this season. The Hawks are back in action next Saturday when they take on Tonbridge Angels at Westleigh Park in another must win game.  


Full time: Hemel Hempstead 0-2 Havant and Waterlooville 

Written by Harry Ince


Havant and Waterlooville: Worner (GK), Stanley (Donkor 67’), Innocent, McNerney, McCarthy ©, Carlyle, Seager (Beckford 71), Jewitt-White, Kealy, Whittingham (Jebb 76’), Roberts 

Unused subs: Willson, Zouma 

Goals: Seager 12’, Whittingham 48’

Yellow cards: Stanley 43’


Hemel Hempstead Town: Taylor (GK), McKenzie, J. Williams, Ajayi, G. Williams (C), Hinds (Iaciofano 30’) , Kawimbe (Mitford 71), Smith, Folivi, Dworzak, Judd (Whittaker 67’)

Unused subs: Re, Oyinsan